Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Low average bitrate for V0 transcoded files? (Read 2413 times) previous topic - next topic

Low average bitrate for V0 transcoded files?

This is a pretty generic question that may not have a simple answer, but here goes:

Occasionally I will "downcode" a FLAC or WV music sample to V0, using, e.g., CUE TOOLS 2.04a and LAME mp3 encoder.  My expectation is that the transcoded file will be somewhere in the range of 220kbps - 248kbps.  But sometimes the resulting file will be quite low in bitrate, i.e. somewhere between 125kbps and 160kbps.  Is there a general answer or answers to why this might be happening?  Is it an indication that the original recording had a narrow "range," or perhaps that the original FLAC or WV was made from a low-bitrate original source?

Any ideas/knowledge would be appreciated.

Low average bitrate for V0 transcoded files?

Reply #1
V0 can average quite low with most low freq or mono recordings, such as albums from The Beatles.

If your lossless files are compressed at low bitrates, such below 550kbps. Then it's very likely to be compressed at very low bitrates with V2 and V0.
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"