Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking to buy ~1KW PA-style power amplifier (Read 2746 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking to buy ~1KW PA-style power amplifier

As per the title, I'm presently shopping around for a 2-channel power amplifier. I'm not interested in ZOMG-WE-DO-ALL-THE-THINGS consumer receiver products. I'm aiming for about 1kW of peak power dissipation (2x500W?), though that's flexible. I just want to be able to run it off of a single home circuit without blowing a breaker for now. I guess 2kW amps could work if I keep the power down. My Google searches are telling me that I don't even know what brands to take a look at. Ideally, I want to buy it online and have it shipped here to northern BC, Canada.

I'd love to go into a shop and you know, actually listen to a few, but the shops here have absurdly low selection and absurdly high prices, so I don't think this is a particularly feasible option.

Reply #1
Have you considered Behringer?

I never used their amps but I've been quite happy with some of their active speakers...

You can give a looks at their PA amplifiers here: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Category/Power...ers.aspx?s=c200

I see they have distributors in northern BC: Prince Rupert, North Nanaimo, Prince George, Dawson Creek and maybe others. Check at: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Buy-Now/index.aspx

Edit:
I now see you're from Prince George. There is this:

Long & Mcquade Prince George
356 George Street
Prince George, V2L 1R3
250 563-0691

Do you know them?
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #2
Yep. Their markup is ridiculous, especially this far north.

Edit: I'm wrong. Their Behringer products are reasonably priced. Still looking for more suggestions though!

Reply #3
Crown
Mackie
Peavey
QSC
Samson
Kevin Graf :: aka Speedskater

Reply #4
Crown had the market sewn up for years before most Sound Re-Inforcement gear became active.

^^ Also .....

Yamaha
dB Technologies
Crest Audio - who do class H

~$1,000

Reply #5
Hi Canar,

I just stumbled on this page where they compare a Behringer A500 (you can find it on the Behringer site as the sole member of their "Studio Monitor Amplifiers") with what they describe as an "High End system" (I don't have the slight idea if it can really be considered as such).

Their test methodology is somehow related to an ABX double-blind test, and although my first impression is that it is not totally Kosher (or Halal, if you prefer), it sounds (pun intended...) interesting.

Regards.
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)