Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Setting up EAC to encode CDs to ALAC format (Read 11225 times) previous topic - next topic

Setting up EAC to encode CDs to ALAC format

I've been searching for information on setting up EAC to encode CDs to ALAC format but haven't had any luck (I'm really terrible at searching for stuff; I have no idea why) and I assume that this has been covered somewhere in this forum - could someone please point me in the right direction? Basically, I need to know which encoder to download and what settings to input on EAC's 'External Compression' tab.

Reply #1
The only way I know is to use iTunesEncode:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...Lossless_Backup

I'm not sure that it still works with the latest version of iTunes, however.

Reply #2
The only way I know is to use iTunesEncode

??? there are at least 3 console encoders:
1. ffmpeg
2. cuetools.alacenc (requires .NET 2.0)
3. qaac (requires Quicktime)

(there are several threads about ALAC encoding in foobar2000 somewhere in fb2k forum)

Reply #3
Wow, iTunesEncode...haven't used that in a looong time - in fact, I think the last time I used it was right before I got my Mac mini and found out about XLD.

But, for old time's sake, I gave it a spin, and whaddayknow - it seems to work just fine with iTunes 10.1.1.4 under XP.

The only modification I had to make to the command line given in the wiki was to delete the "-d" parameter at the end.

If I left it there, it would indeed delete the file from iTunes' library - right after iTunes had successfully encoded and tagged it.

Also (and I seem to remember this being the main thing that annoyed me when I tried using it years ago), there doesn't appear to be a way to delete the encoded .m4a's automagically.  They stay put in whatever output directory I point EAC to.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #4
Thanks for the interest, but can somebody now answer my question?

Reply #5
Please take the little effort to actually read the replies. You can setup any encoder you like in EAC, if it offers a commandline interface.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #6
In the defense of the OP (and myself for being so utterly and embarrassingly ignorant), there is very little direct information on configuring EAC to encode to Apple Lossless (besides the wiki link I gave).

Reply #7
download qaac ver. 0.30 or newer from http://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/ . Extract qaac.exe from the archive. Also download and install Quicktime. You also need either msvcp100.dll and msvcr100.dll from the archive or MSVS 2010 redistributable package.

And then... EAC options:(untested!)

Use file extension: .m4a
Program, including path, used for compression: Browse and locate 'qaac.exe'.
Additional command line options:
Code: [Select]
--no-optimize --alac --artist "%a" --title "%t" --album "%g" --date "%y" --track "%n" --genre "%m" %s -o %d

Reply #8
[redundant]

Reply #9
Thanks, lvqcl - that was exactly what I was looking for.

Kohlrabi, I did read the answers - as I'm obviously new to using EAC I wasn't able to make any sense of them until after I'd gone through the steps that lvqcl suggested.

Reply #10
[font= "Microsoft Sans Serif"]finally cracked how to do EAC alac rip under 1.0.3      [also good under Wine for Ubuntu linux guys]

the code line is [with all trimmings]

--no-optimize -A -i %source% -o %dest% --artist "%artist%" --title "%title%" --album "%albumtitle%" --date "%year%" --track "%tracknr%" --genre "%genre%"  --comment "%comment%"
  --composer "%composer%"  --track "%tracknr%"

place the entire qaac folder from here into flac folder in EAC and use qaac.exe

[/font]
yea yer roight !