Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sound artifacts/clipping noises when using 1024 samples per buffer on sound card (Read 561 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound artifacts/clipping noises when using 1024 samples per buffer on sound card

So I am using a MOTU Ultralite mk3 sound card, I increased the buffer size to 1024  for my audio software that I use and Foobar has trouble working, I get weird clicks and pops and to be honest at first I thought the sample rate was wrong as it sounded slightly slower as if Foobar couldn't process 48k and was forcing it into 44.1k But then I noticed that it was the same while I was using both audio formats (48k and 44.1k), all the other players had no problem, VLC, iTunes, Windows Media. As a last effort I decreased the sample buffer size to 512 and everything was fine again. I tried to match the sample size in Foobar but I couldn't dial it in to 1024 and could only make the slider to 1030. And honestly I am not sure what that slider actually does and buffer it refers to. But I do know for sure that Foobar can't play the audio on my computer properly  when my sound card is set to 1024 samples to buffer.

I was using an old version of Foobar and thought I messed something up, so I reset the settings and then deleted it and downloaded the latest version 1.4.8. So I also know that it was happening in two versions (don't remember the version I had before, something 1.3.x maybe)

Anyone have any advices on what's happening here?

Re: Sound artifacts/clipping noises when using 1024 samples per buffer on sound card

Reply #1
What output from foobar2000 are you using - ASIO, WASAPI, DS?

Re: Sound artifacts/clipping noises when using 1024 samples per buffer on sound card

Reply #2
I am using the same output as the system output, which is the main out of my MOTU card, I do not have an option to pick ASIO or WASAPI. Everything else where I do have an option I use ASIO. With that said, when I heard the clipping first (it was a music mix done in Traktor DJ software) my initial reaction was to increase the buffer size (I did that without testing the audio file in other programs first). When I went into my Traktor software, it has a somewhat weird system, which doesn't let you configure the buffer size unless I am using only Traktor and have an audio file loaded, as I was trying to sort out my audio outputs in Traktor I accidently picked WASAPI for my sound card (had about 20 options for inputs and outputs)...

After I picked WASAPI in Traktor it changed the settings globally and kind of screwed up my sound, I reverted and reset my PC.  The reason why I am telling all this is that this is when the clipping started. I was still in 1024 samples and was trying to see what happened. All other software seemed to adapt just fine and played all audio files without a hitch. I couldn't get anywhere with Foobar so I reset all of it's settings and after that didn't work deleted it and downloaded the new version.

I don't know which software affected it but it seems to be the only program that couldn't adjust. So far it works fine in 512 samples like I said before, but I would still like to find what the problem is and how to fix it.