Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar overestimates the lenghth of some WAV files (Read 890 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar overestimates the lenghth of some WAV files

Hi, I noticed that in some cases, foobar2000 appears to overestimate the length of some WAV files. Example: http://research.spa.aalto.fi/publications/theses/lemmetty_mst/wave/track08f.wav. It's unclear if there is anything in particular wrong with this file, FFmpeg and other players appear to show the proper duration.

Re: foobar overestimates the lenghth of some WAV files

Reply #1
I tested the file with File Integrity Verifier
The file fails to verify. But, when I compressed it to flac, the verifys correctly. 

Item: "H:\MP3\track08f.wav"
MD5: 41854CCD5FA93801093A52917DE058E5
CRC32: 86D9B7AA
Error: Reported length is inaccurate : 0:29.974785 vs 0:07.493696 decoded

Reply #2
The "fact" chunk contains incorrect number of samples (330,472/11,025=29.97). This sometimes happens and other programs have options to ignore this information. Maybe the file was downsampled by a factor of 4 and the fact chunk was carried over unmodified by the program that made the file. I recently reported an issue with a compressed wav format, and pointed out that it is possible to read the sample count. Maybe the fact chunk shouldn't be used for linear PCM?

Reply #3
Possibly? All the files from this CD appear to have the same length issue.

Reply #4
... Maybe the fact chunk shouldn't be used for linear PCM?
That's a given.  It's pointless (in LPCM).  FWIW, FBv1.4 showed 7 seconds.
BANNED