Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Your Setup (Read 11590 times) previous topic - next topic

Your Setup

My setup

What does your PC look like?

Your Setup

Reply #1
My setup

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341615"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wow... Fancy...

I don't want to embarass myself so I won't answer.
we was young an' full of beans

Your Setup

Reply #2
haha. anyone else?

Your Setup

Reply #3
My setup

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wow... Absolutelly ugly... 

[a href="http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=37713970tree8bs.jpg]My fancy setup[/url]

Your Setup

Reply #4
My setup

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wow... Absolutelly ugly... 

[a href="http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=37713970tree8bs.jpg]Mine fancy setup[/url]
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341646"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nice, how big is the HD on that thing???
we was young an' full of beans

Your Setup

Reply #6
Bland Beige Bullshit.

I believe computers are like chess pieces. Fancy ones are nice to look at, but take away your concentration when you are trying to do serious things.

Your Setup

Reply #7
If I wanted disco light I would go to a disco...
Does it come come with build in Britney Spears too?

Seriously... It is mighty cool and all... but don't you get tied of it?

Your Setup

Reply #8
Bland Beige Bullshit.

I believe computers are like chess pieces. Fancy ones are nice to look at, but take away your concentration when you are trying to do serious things.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341815"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ha ha, you should trademark that: B[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']3 ™[/span]

I have to agree with you that fancy ones either desktop or laptop may indeed look very nice, however they are also very distracting, especially those that are all lit up like a christmas tree -- I got the pun that zima was sharing via the christmas tree image.

Your Setup

Reply #9
I have no picture of my setup, but my computer look like this one.
Just add an Apple Bluetooth mouse on the right side!

Your Setup

Reply #11
My setup will look similiar to kwanbis' in a few months...... over the course of time, it'll probably be:

Thinkpad T-something
+
M-Audio Transit
+
AVM Fritz!Box SL (with long connection cable - WLAN? no thanks!)
+
5.1 Speaker-System
+
Beamer (for watching movies, etc.)
+
external USB2-HDD and USB2-Burner

edit: for whatever reason, the above setup reminds me about the amiga-days, plus the beamer and 5.1 speaker-sys. See.... in the end, it all gets back to the roots ;) Now, if i can only get a cd-burning app which tells me to "PRESS RECORD ON TAPE"...
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Your Setup

Reply #12
Eizo Flatscreen + Logitech FlatX Keyboard and MX1000 Mouse. The rest is under my table which means i don't see it

but no: i don't have any kind of disco in my computer

Your Setup

Reply #13
i like this one also: http://members.home.nl/gis/
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341991"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That thing is ugly.

Your Setup

Reply #14
external USB2-HDD and USB2-Burner

edit: for whatever reason, the above setup reminds me about the amiga-days, plus the beamer and 5.1 speaker-sys. See.... in the end, it all gets back to the roots  Now, if i can only get a cd-burning app which tells me to "PRESS RECORD ON TAPE"...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=342015"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lyx, have you considered attaching external drives via Firewire or even SATA? (if your laptop will have it externally...) USB was meant for mouses, keyboards, scanners and such after all (yep, not even webcams)...and it shows.

Your Setup

Reply #16
Lyx, have you considered attaching external drives via Firewire or even SATA? (if your laptop will have it externally...) USB was meant for mouses, keyboards, scanners and such after all (yep, not even webcams)...and it shows.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=342111"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As far as i know USB2 supports datarates up to 60MB/sec. Could you enlighten me why this would be suboptimal for external drives(which i would use as secondary storage-space for mostly static stuff, i.e. MP3s, etc.)? The notebook will most probably not support firewire but instead have a builtin USB1 hub plus an USB2 extension via PCMCIA.

- Lyx

Your Setup

Reply #17
external drives are ok, as long as you dont use them for editing video for example, that scenario just didnt work out for me (but i do blame bugy firewire port on my old laptop.)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Your Setup

Reply #18
As far as i know USB2 supports datarates up to 60MB/sec.

51MB/sec actually. And it'll hardly go past 25MB/sec on normal conditions.

Your Setup

Reply #19
I've always seen it as 60MB/s (or 480Mbps / 8).

Is this a theoretical vs. real-life thing?
I'm on a horse.

Your Setup

Reply #21
so in short - it'll be okay for what i'll use them for(which will be far from manipulation of massive amounts of data). It'll simply be used for storage and playback.

- Lyx

Your Setup

Reply #22
so in short - it'll be okay for what i'll use them for(which will be far from manipulation of massive amounts of data). It'll simply be used for storage and playback.

- Lyx
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=344374"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have a Maxtor 120 that I use in the exact same fashion with an IBM T42 and Dell Inspiron. It (USB2) performs perfectly.
--
Eric

Your Setup

Reply #23
I've always seen it as 60MB/s (or 480Mbps / 8).[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=344332"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hrm.. for some strange reason, I always read that as 408mbps. Silly me.

The value of 25mBps for real life speed is correct though. I remember reading it in a magazine article criticizing USB for its bogus marketing, claiming theoretical speed higher than IEEE1394, but delivering lower real life speed (IEEE1394 stays around 30mBps for everyday usage)

The problem with USB is that it was initially created as a communication protocol for slow devices (ink jet printers, scanners, mice, keyboards) that didn't justify hogging a PCI slot exclusively for them. It was not originally meant to be used with stuff like networking and mass storage, and that shows in latency issues (try plugging a CAT5 cable to an Ethernet-USB2 bridge, and then to a standard PCI NIC, and see speed soar) and several other limitations that the USB SIG/Intel had to work around to milk their cash cow.

For high speed devices, IEEE1394 is infinitely better. It's a pity there isn't a company as big as Intel behind it...

Your Setup

Reply #24
Thanks for the clarification Roberto.

My colleague and I were having a discussion about Firewire vs. USB2 the other day funnily enough.  Your figures of 25mBps and 30mBps back up what we concluded.

Thankfully my IcyBox external enclosure has both.

Unfortunately you see so few Firewire devices for the PC.  As you say, it's a pity that it's not backed better.
I'm on a horse.