Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: strange hissing in ABC/HR with 24khz (Read 3572 times) previous topic - next topic

strange hissing in ABC/HR with 24khz

i noticed some hissing when playing a 24khz .wav in abc/hr

the hissing is not there if i play the file in graphedit, quicktime...
if i set the output to "directsound" in winamp i dont get the hissing, if i set it to "waveout" i get it

i dont have a problem with 22.050khz for example tough

anything i can do to listen to a 24khz wav correctly in abc/hr?
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Reply #1
This seems more like a driver problem than an ABC/HR bug.
Contact the manufactor of your soundcard about this.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #2
This seems more like a driver problem than an ABC/HR bug.
Contact the manufactor of your soundcard about this.

Yes, however it is a shortcoming of abchr that it restricts playback to wavout.  DirectSound playback is not implemented.

ff123

Reply #3
whats the difference between wavout and directsound, so that i can cause such problems?

any chance that abc/hr will get directsound support?
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Reply #4
whats the difference between wavout and directsound, so that i can cause such problems?

any chance that abc/hr will get directsound support?

I'm not an expert on the differences, although it seemed to me from what I read that wavout is the most compatible with all the different flavors of Windows around (although not optimum for the newer flavors like 2000 or XP).

It's unlikely that I will put in the effort to support DirectSound in the native windows version.

I still think there's an app waiting to be written by someone which is multi-platform, high performance, optionally bit-perfect or mixer compatible, works with 24-bit files in 2000 and XP, and which has all the great features schnofler has included in his java version.

It just isn't going to be written by me

ff123