Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cross-platform (Win & Mac) Audio CD Tagging Method (Read 4462 times) previous topic - next topic

Cross-platform (Win & Mac) Audio CD Tagging Method

I'd appreciate suggestions on a common Win & Mac tagging method for audio CDs. I use iTunes + cdparanoia on Mac, EAC on Win.

Background: I'm rather particular about tagging my CDs. Neither CDDB nor freedb are completely suitable for my needs, so what I do is retrieve data from CDDB via iTunes, save it to a text file where I correct it with a text editor, and get it back to iTunes. Thanks to iTunes' extensive AppleScript support, getting data from and to iTunes/Mac is fairly automatic. So on the Mac side, I'm alright, but I don't know how to get this data to EAC on the Win side.

Here's what I thought of.

(1) <CD Info.cidb> iTunes saves CD data to several files, including CD Info.cidb. The format is the same on Mac and Win, so I could copy CD Info.cidb over to Win, and iTunes/Win would use the same data as iTunes/Mac -- but I don't know how to make EAC get data from iTunes, or how to make iTunes/Win export data in a format understood by EAC.

(2) <cdplayer.ini> EAC exchanges data with cdplayer.ini, and I could convert my text file to cdplayer.ini format. But there are three problems: (a) the cdplayer.ini ID is not the same as the ID used by freedb, and I don't know how to calculate it on a Mac; (b) the cdplayer.ini format is limited, and I can't save in it data such as composer or year (especially for compilations, where they differ from track to track); © EAC seems to expect cdplayer.ini's text encoding to be CP1252, and doesn't import UTF-8 correctly.

(3) <local freedb> EAC can exchange data with a local freedb database. I can use the CLI tool discid to get the ID and track offsets, so I can convert the text file to freedb format. But there are two problems: (a) EAC seems to expect the file's text encoding to be CP1252, and doesn't import correctly UTF-8, which can be annoying; (b) the freedb format seems to be limited, although not as badly as cdplayer.ini, and I could dump some data in the EXT fields.

So, how do I get around this, so I can share the same database on Mac and Win?

Thanks in advance.