Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Are you using ReplayGain?

Yes, I am using new ReplayGain (EBU R128)
Yes, I am using old ReplayGain (Classic)
No, I am not using ReplayGain
Topic: Old vs. new ReplayGain (Read 3210 times) previous topic - next topic

Old vs. new ReplayGain

In theory, both of them should be pretty equal, but in reality things are pretty different, especially with bass heavy music.
This poll is nothing special, I just want to see which one you like/prefer more.
gold plated toslink fan

Re: Old vs. new ReplayGain

Reply #1
ReplayGain (EBU R128) with the pre-amp set to -10dB and Album mode / apply gain is what I use for my entire music library.

Reply #2
I use the new because that is what my main version of Foobar has, it is faster and good enough to prevent large volume swings.

Reply #3
I don't use RG when listening to albums, I just, you know, adjust the volume :) but I do have some self-made compilations which are gathered from hundreds of various CDs, and when listening to these I use track-based RG.
But all my files do have RG info. New ones. Only thing I've noticed is that it is not that good if I turn on that "True peak scan", loudness can vary especially with dynamically highly compressed music. Without it, it's OK, didn't notice many differences. It does favor HF content, though :)
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #4
Only thing I've noticed is that it is not that good if I turn on that "True peak scan", loudness can vary especially with dynamically highly compressed music.
That seems strange to me. I would think that dynamically compressed music usually gets highly negative RG and in such case True Peak shouldn't matter.

Reply #5
I use dsp "ReplayGain (alternative)" set at -14 LUFS. This is a different ReplayGain than the two you are referring to, right?