Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Dither vs Sampling Rate (Read 15482 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Dither vs Sampling Rate

Reply #50
Can we say the ATH curve is no flat line below 16kHz and so a shaped noise can be build?
The latest SSRC of Naoki Shibata strangely lists ATH based shapes for all kinds of samplerates but 32kHz.

I for myself find such discssions interesting and wonder where we should put the line between 'must abx' and 'best practise'. I never would critic SoX for using 32bit processing when we could get away with 24bit processing in abx tests.
Maybe jjf5 should start a poll if members use shaped dither or not :)
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #51
Can we say the ATH curve is no flat line below 16kHz and so a shaped noise can be build?
A rhetorical question, I hope.

The latest SSRC of Naoki Shibata strangely lists ATH based shapes for all kinds of samplerates but 32kHz.
Magic?

I for myself find such discssions interesting and wonder where we should put the line between 'must abx' and 'best practise'. I never would critic SoX for using 32bit processing when we could get away with 24bit processing in abx tests.
I applaud Best PracticesTM, though I often have a hard time discerning it from voodoo.  This goes for all the masturbation over samplerate conversion as well, which, in light of other recent discussions on the subject, is likely why I continued on with this rant.
However, I don't see the problem if it does no harm.

Maybe jjf5 should start a poll if members use shaped dither or not :)
Add the potential for incorrect interpretations to a growing string of logical fallacies.

Reply #52
SoX for example works at 32bit integer internaly and creates new data from 16bit input. It dithers the output when the output will be 16bit. This is afaik common practise.

I think its common practice because its more work for the programmer to identify the cases where the second layer of dithering is not needed and can be skipped. 

This is a subtlty that many many not be familiar with. 

Double dithering may slightly increase background, but usually not audibly.   Some of the early (ca. 1970s and 80s) AES and SMPTE papers about dither were  concerned about the noise that may be  added by  dithering and include it in their analyses. It generally turns out to be a nit.

Bingo. I always dither because it has never caused noise I could hear or that others complained about. Not dithering has in some cases resulted in audible noise. I confess I do not understand all the concepts of how dithering works, especially shaped dithering, I just know in my experience it never hurts and sometimes helps so I do it.