Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Rio Karma 20... (Read 10272 times) previous topic - next topic

Rio Karma 20...

Reply #25
This little device could be cool.
I just started getting some FLAC goodness and re-ripping my small collection. I figure this way I can avoid the tedium of ripping when a new codec pops out, just transcode and roll.

MP3 for the rio sp150 (no firmware updates I guess) and FLAC on the Karma...mmm goodness all around!  B)

Rio Karma 20...

Reply #26
IMO,these specialized moulded Li cells are a rip off.

A couple of AA or AAA NiMH batteries work in small units.Look at the intel pocket concert.

Don't forget that they saved space and power consumption there by.... leaving out the hard drive. 

The only HD based unit I can think of that takes AA's is Archos which I think takes 4 AA cells and it is huge compred to ipod or karma.

I think what we need is a few good standard (maybe new standard, but widely available) sizes of rechargeable cells in a more space efficient format than round flashlight batteries for use in these cameras, players, pda's, etc.

Rio Karma 20...

Reply #27
Then maybe it will encourage the continuing proliferation of devices that use "funny" codecs.

It is actually quite a lot of work for a codec to get hardware support, starting way back in the initial codec design, avoiding patent minefields, to developing an efficient+portable reference implementation, to writing detailed format specifications and API documentation, and addressing manufacturers concerns.  Manufacturers have to deal with customer support, reliability, returns, etc. so they are very conservative.

MP3 and WAV have a lot of mass.  Vorbis and FLAC have clear major advantages and enough effort behind them to start to make inroads, after years of work.  Future codecs will have to have major advantages over their predecessors to make it.  A few % difference in compression, or minor audio quality difference is not enough.  Then they will have to be implemented well and well documented.  Compare the Vorbis/FLAC format specs or API docs to those of APE/SHN/MPC/LA/WavPack/etc; I believe they have none and some don't even have reference libraries.  That's why you see so many formats with a Windows implementation and that's it.

Josh

Rio Karma 20...

Reply #28
IMO,these specialized moulded Li cells are a rip off.

A couple of AA or AAA NiMH batteries work in small units.Look at the intel pocket concert.

I actually like the Lithium cells. It is the best battery available and the size compared to the power they supply is just awesome! Company's can save a lot of space this way and they are also able to shape them exactly how they need it. The disadvantage though is that you can't charge the battery with your own charger, but rather need their charger or like it is mostly done; the charge takes place in the unit itself. The problem is that you need for every device a separate battery pack. You probably won't get any battery packs for your unit once it is a couple of years old and replaced by a better model. Lithium cells are also very expensive. However, it is pretty much harmless to the environment and can easily be disposed. In my opinion, a Lithium accumulator makes sense for all hard drive based mp3 players though where the power is essential. The only thing I don't get along with is the fact that you cannot take the battery pack out of the Karma...the Ipod allows it though!
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Rio Karma 20...

Reply #29
I asked about futire ability of the Rio Karma to plat WMA9 Pro files. This was my response:

Our players work perfectly fine with files encoded with WMP9. Make sure the files are unsecured while encoding them.To do this: Go to tools options copy music
uncheck the copy music box This would ensure that the songs are unsecured.

Not too encouraging, as WMP does not even offer the option to encode with WMP9 Pro.

Rio Karma 20...

Reply #30
I actually like the Lithium cells. It is the best battery available and the size compared to the power they supply is just awesome! Company's can save a lot of space this way and they are also able to shape them exactly how they need it.

As far as I know the mouldable ones are not the same chemistry as a regular Lithium ion
rechargeable. They don't hold as much charge on a per weight or per volume basis.  We would be better off with a regular Li battery on cost, volume, and weight if the manufacturers could be convinced to design around them instead of designing the battery around what space is available.  AND you could get replacements from a choice of sources instead
of being a captive buyer.

Rio Karma 20...

Reply #31
I asked about futire ability of the Rio Karma to plat WMA9 Pro files. This was my response:

Our players work perfectly fine with files encoded with WMP9. Make sure the files are unsecured while encoding them.To do this: Go to tools options copy music
uncheck the copy music box This would ensure that the songs are unsecured.

Not too encouraging, as WMP does not even offer the option to encode with WMP9 Pro.

you need WMEncoder in order to rip those Pro files. You should get it on the Microsoft Site though...
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Rio Karma 20...

Reply #32
you need WMEncoder in order to rip those Pro files. You should get it on the Microsoft Site though...

Yes, but portables will NOT recognize those files currently. Pocket PCs being the exception

Rio Karma 20...

Reply #33
Hallelujah! (though I've known about this for awhile)

I'm a little confused, though. I thought Rio was kind of a trade name for the (now) defunct SonicBlue line of portable players. Anyhow, I'm there...or should I spend the $400 on a ATI AIW 9800. Decisions, decisions.

xen-uno

edit: Nevermind, it was a subsidiary, now owned by Denon/Marantz
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus

Rio Karma 20...

Reply #34
Rio has bounced around various owners, and same owners changing names.

THe Karma comes from, as far as I can figure out, the Empeg group, which was once
an independant brand that supplied at least one design to Rio under contract before being aquired.  To me they are most known for players such as the Rio Reciever and Empeg car
player which run linux internally.

Rio Karma 20...

Reply #35
More info and pictures (including home-shot ones by beta testers) here:

www.riovolution.com

Link to the Image Gallery in the left side navigation bar. There are also forums with a few Rio engineers lurking if you've got specific questions.

Regards,
M

Rio Karma 20...

Reply #36
I will be getting mine in a couple days, and I'll give it a whirl and post my thoughts on it then.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!