Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Removing ID3 v1.x tags from files on a Mac (Read 3129 times) previous topic - next topic

Removing ID3 v1.x tags from files on a Mac

What software provides easy removal of ID3 v1.x tags (or any other metadata that is not ID3 v2.4) from files on a Mac (while not modifying ID3 v2.4 tags)?

Also, what Mac software can fix incorrect technical metadata (like incorrect sample / frame counts), unknown tag fields, etc.?

Thanks.

Re: Removing ID3 v1.x tags from files on a Mac

Reply #1
You can install id3v2 via homebrew and remove ID3v1 tags with the -s option

Reply #2
Thanks for info about id3v2.

Unfortunately, it's not recognizing existing ID3v2.4 tags on my MP3s.

Do you know if it supports 2.4?

Thanks.

Reply #3
No, personally I'm using Meta for editing meta data on all files and I don't know if there are any ID3v1 tags left to be honest.

Reply #4
foobar2000 for macOS supports v2.4 tags, but there's probably not that handy of an option to remove just v1 tags there.

Reply #5
Just asked the Meta developers, when you turn off ID3v1 in the settings they are deleted when modifying the tags of the file. So maybe it is worth to try it out: https://www.nightbirdsevolve.com/meta/

Reply #6
foobar2000 for macOS supports v2.4 tags, but there's probably not that handy of an option to remove just v1 tags there.

foobar2000 for Windows (I use it in Wine) lets you remove id3v1 tags. It's just a checkbox. It's kind of a PITA though, because iirc, you have to check id3v2.3 or whatever, click apply, and then uncheck id3v1 and click apply. If you just uncheck id3v1 and hit apply, it'll remove the tags completely. Which is the correct behavior, I guess, but a warning should pop up.

I found a trove of old MP3s that predate id3v2 and decided to modernize the tags and run them through MP3Packer a while back.

Not sure why you'd use 2.4 instead of 2.3. For some reason, Microsoft never did get around to properly supporting 2.4, so if a Windows user gets them, then neither their file manager nor (I guess) Windows Media Player (does that still exist?) will see the tags.

Unless something changed. Plus there's all those people still using Windows XP and 7.