Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: splitting FLAC large file into multiple tracks without decoding or re- (Read 14592 times) previous topic - next topic

splitting FLAC large file into multiple tracks without decoding or re-

Hello, I made a very long search to my simple question but I didn't find a definitive answer.

Is it possible to splitting a FLAC large file into multiple FLAC tracks without decoding or re-encoding?

Medieval Cue Splitter seems to have any problems.
CueTools and Foobar should do the job but with re-encoding.

Any other solutions (Win or Mac)?
Thanks in advance!

Reply #1
What do you have against decoding and reencoding lossless files?

Reply #2
What do you have against decoding and reencoding lossless files?

Nothing, but I'd like to know if there's a way to make it without decoding and reencoding.
What level of FLAC compression I'd have to choose to obtain same FLAC quality than the original?

Reply #3
You'll probably have to write your own app and deal with the fact that flac frame boundaries will probably not coincide with CD sector boundaries if you want spitting without decoding and reencoding.

As to your last question, any compression level; LOSSLESS IS LOSSLESS.

Reply #4
Compression has nothing to do with quality. All it affects is size.

Anyway, whatever splits your files will be decoding and reencoding, even if you don't see it.

Reply #5
He wouldn't have to design his own app; splitting without re-encoding is what Medieval Cue Splitter does, and it has exactly the problem greynol described. There's no way around it.

This topic has been discussed before:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=89303
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=89981
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=82334

Reply #6
Ok, so if I wanted split a large FLAC files in single tracks preserving the same quality, I have to use cuetools or Foobar. I only have to choose the compression level (files size) but the quality remains the same. Right? Is there a way to see what compression level was originally used to compress a large FLAC file?

Reply #8
I'd like to remain as close as I can to the original large file. Maybe I'm wrong?

Reply #9
You’ve already been told that it makes no difference.

Reply #10
I'd like to remain as close as I can to the original large file. Maybe I'm wrong?

Did we enter the age filesize has some kind of aesthetic!? Did i miss something?
Use the maximum compression on splitting if you want to save space or lighter compression for faster encoding.

Still the reason why you need the same filesize puzzles me.

Besides that i vote for a new TOS, new members should be forced to accept the fact that lossless is indeed lossless is lossless...
I see greynol loosing to many nerves with this, this can´t be healthy
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #13

Did we enter the age filesize has some kind of aesthetic!? Did i miss something?
Use the maximum compression on splitting if you want to save space or lighter compression for faster encoding.

Still the reason why you need the same filesize puzzles me.

Besides that i vote for a new TOS, new members should be forced to accept the fact that lossless is indeed lossless is lossless...
I see greynol loosing to many nerves with this, this can´t be healthy

Ok, you're right and I'm wrong. The FLAC level compression doesn't affect quality and I forgot it.
So I can use either CueTools or Foobar, they do the same job, don't they?

Reply #14
Ok, you're right and I'm wrong. The FLAC level compression doesn't affect quality and I forgot it.
So I can use either CueTools or Foobar, they do the same job, don't they?

They should do the same with valid cue files. Use what is easier for you to handle.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #15
Let's not give the impression that shntool can split a flac without re-encoding, OK?

Sorry.
At my age I should know better than to make assumptions about things of which I have little knowledge!