Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What about Nero mp3-mp3Pro Encoder? (Read 4036 times) previous topic - next topic

What about Nero mp3-mp3Pro Encoder?

Hello Everybody.. Lame rocks !!! Of Course.

But I would like to hear from you any oppinions about the latest Nero mp3 Encoder (the retail version).

Especially I want to know the best quality settings for mp3 (not mp3Pro) encoding. Archival settings.. I have read of some artifacts that are produced with High Quality settings..

Thanks and please don't tell me to use LAME I am just curious to know more about this Fraunhoffer encoder..

Reply #1
First, I kind of doubt that you'll attain the same level of quality that LAME has with any setting in the Nero MP3/Fraunhofer encoder (CBR or VBR).

Still though, if you're 'stubborn' enough to still want to stick with that encoder, don't encode in anything less than 192 kbps (at the very least). That is, if you want to do CBR encoding, which gives the most reliable results with a Fraunhofer encoder. For CBR, I'd advise you to use 256 or 320 kbps for 'archival quality' and set the "Encoding quality" to "Highest" and "Allow intensity stereo coding".

Now if it's VBR encoding you want to do with the Nero MP3 encoder, I'm sorry but I can't help you there. I just don't trust any Fraunhofer encoder with this mode to use it much these days. I've heard so much bad about it, f.ex. the "Highest quality" setting being worse than the lower quality settings. The only real good VBR encoder I've found is LAME. (Although the Xing encoder does produce a slightly better sound quality in VBR mode than CBR mode, but considering Xing is one of the 'worst' encoders, that doesn't count much I guess.)

Reply #2
Originally posted by kjempen
That is, if you want to do CBR encoding, which gives the most reliable results with a Fraunhofer encoder. For CBR, I'd advise you to use 256 or 320 kbps for 'archival quality' and set the "Encoding quality" to "Highest" and "Allow intensity stereo coding".
Umm, I don't think intensity stereo will be used at high bitrates, but why would you even suggest to allow it. It's the worst quality channel coupling there is destroying also phase information, and it's meant for very low bitrate.
I don't think it matters though, because FhG can't be so stupid that it uses intensity stereo frames at high bitrates even if allowed..(?)
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #3
OK I see....

I have been encoding with FGh just to check the quality and make comparisons with the other encoders... I am not a Fraunhoffer fanatic ...

Encoding at 256 Kbps CBR with Fast, Medium or High quality settings,  yields some pretty good acoustic results...

Reply #4
JohnV: Thanks for correcting me. I guess I should read what I write more carefully before posting.