Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ICL 8 is out (Read 3957 times) previous topic - next topic

ICL 8 is out

john33 3.93.1: 5.62x
icl8 3.93.1: 6.10x

7.87% faster than previous builds on my box.

It's on premier support right now, so grab a copy and start recompiling

ICL 8 is out

Reply #1
With this development pace I don't see how any other project could cope with icc. That's great news for IA-64 arena too. As soon as I could get to compile the entire BSD kernel I don't see any reason to go back to gcc.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

ICL 8 is out

Reply #2
Don't forget that gcc and icl have rather different aims.

Nobody's going to be compiling that BSD kernel on a PPC or ARM processor with icl.

ICL 8 is out

Reply #3
Well not really did you forget the Intel XScale architecture which is ARM based? I think icc should support that in time.

I respect gcc project. But Intel has covered up all fields, embedded, desktop and the server. And in all of them it provides the best performing options. Therefore you can only live with icc as soon as its gcc compatibility is mature enough. Because 30% faster code is simply amazing.

Unfortunately gcc is monopolizing the compiler market on the open source domain to such an extent that some software are designed only to be compiled with gcc and breaks when compiled with icc or some other compiler. Because of this reason of portability (that you also pointed out) it's nice to have other options.

I also like icc project because they started from scratch and came up with an amazing compiler. Although its main objective is to support IA-64 architecture because EPIC is compiler intensive, not many of us observe that yet which is where it's supposed to shine. Now it's up to the gcc team to do a major rewrite or get lagged behind.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

ICL 8 is out

Reply #4
I think the optimalizations are mostly done for the pentium IV and Itanium processors. The results are almost the same for my PIII 900Mhz processor.

LAME 3.94 BETA: --preset standard -Z

JohnV´s ICL7.1 compile:
2.8134x

ICL8 compile using /fast (is the same as /O3 /Qipo) /G6:
2.7284x

The other possibility is that JohnV is using some exotic magical swithes to optimize the compile