Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_dsp_std advanced limiter (Read 4133 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_dsp_std advanced limiter

So there is a "advanced limiter" dsp to chose from the list, has no configuration, no info wherever about it, what it is for? fb2k 1.0b5

Reply #1
Prevents clipping by applying an intelligent volume calculation algorithm to the signal and scaling things down where clipping would occur. For best results, add to the end of your playback DSP chain.

Reply #2
Thank You.

Reply #3
This "Advanced Limiter" DSP doesn't limit here on foobar2000 v1.0!? What I' missing here? Same for the "Hard -6dB limiter". It never limits to -6dB. I'm still getting peaks of -1.0dB!? There are no other DSPs in my chain.

Reply #4
This "Advanced Limiter" DSP doesn't limit here on foobar2000 v1.0!? What I' missing here? Same for the "Hard -6dB limiter". It never limits to -6dB. I'm still getting peaks of -1.0dB!? There are no other DSPs in my chain.

That's exactly what should happen.

The Advanced Limiter won't affect your signal unless the peaks actually touch 0.0 dB. It looks ahead to see if any samples exceed 1.000 or drop to or below -1.000 and applies limiting only then in the time vicinity of those peaks. For signals that don't clip already, it won't do a thing.

The Hard -6dB limiter is approximately linear to -6 dB (-0.500 or +0.500) if I recall correctly then has a curved response to higher values to ensure that practically no input over 1.000 exceeds 0dB. It has a soft curve but it provides a fixed or "hard" transfer function.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Re: foo_dsp_std advanced limiter

Reply #5
Imagine, there is a song saved in WavPack lossy mode, 44.1 kHz 16 bit.
Its LUFS is -6.94 dB and True peak (upsampled x4 with SoX) is +2.10 dB.

To see Advanced limiter in action, I add this DSP to a conversion chain, set nothing else and choose WAV as an output format. According to my understanding of the ideas floating between threads here, I am about to get a file with True Peak of 0 dB or slightly less. But this is not happening, it stays the same. Why, @Peter?

Perhaps it is about what is considered a limit and “inter-sample peak detection” is not taken into account?
If so, is it possible to add such an option to Advanced limiter to make it even more advanced in the known universe?
• Join our efforts to make Helix MP3 encoder great again
• Opus complexity & qAAC dependence on Apple is an aberration from Vorbis & Musepack breakthroughs
• Let's pray that D. Bryant improve WavPack hybrid, C. Helmrich update FSLAC, M. van Beurden teach FLAC to handle non-audio data

Re: foo_dsp_std advanced limiter

Reply #6
I'm not Peter but I can answer that the concept of "True Peak" is much newer than all these DSPs. There is zero code to deal with True Peaks other than the optional feature in ReplayGain scanner.

While adding support for such feature would of course be possible, I highly doubt there is any will to do so. foobar2000 isn't a mastering studio and the feature adds very little value for playback.