Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Oggenc RC4 ? (Read 3576 times) previous topic - next topic

Oggenc RC4 ?

I've just download the latest Oggenc from http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00  and i've found out that the libVorbis date has changed to 20020306.

But can anyone explain into more details what are those changes?

Oggenc RC4 ?

Reply #1
No, it's not RC4.

Up until now, the library date shown in the 'vendor string' has always shown the date of the last major release, ie. 20011231 for RC3. Since I am posting 'daily' binaries at Roberto's site, often as a result of a change to the libraries, it seemed to make more sense to me if the 'vendor string' showed the date of the last library change. You will find another one there today showing 20020307.

The current state of the libraries is quite different to the original RC3 and so it seemed somewhat misleading to be posting 'daily' binaries showing a library date that was out-of-date! I had hoped that this would help rather than cause confusion!!

john33

Oggenc RC4 ?

Reply #2
@john33

Hi,
you stated that "the current state of the libraries is quite different to the original RC3 ".
I would like to know if the quality of encoding has evolved since RC3 came out, or if it is not the case, what has changed since then ?
Thanks in advance,

Pasqui.

Oggenc RC4 ?

Reply #3
Well, I'm not John33, but I can answer this one. 

I don't know if the quality really improved - I did no tests - but the encoding engine changed. As it would be very strange if the quality started to suddenly decrease, I believe it increased. 

Maybe there were some speed improvements in the encoding engine too. But I believe part of the changes involved quality.

Regards;

Roberto.