Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Several questions about ripping into flac (Read 3787 times) previous topic - next topic

Several questions about ripping into flac

Well, i really need to clear things out...
Actually, i'm still a newbie to lossless archiving world, but i'm really confusing right now, there are really a lot of options and functions both in EAC and Flac frontend.
I've been in a bittorrent music sharing site, and they're ripping requirements have some differences comparing with the article in HA.org.

So, i think i just get to the point.
At there, they don't want us to check replaygain in flac, but here in HA, the thread is written that we should check replaygain...
any suggestion on making sure what kind of standard is the best?

Well, another thing, but it's quite far from lossless codecs, it's more about standards....
so i just put on hyperlink directed to the thread i posted in off topic
in offtopic

Reply #1
Activating Replaygain only writes tags to the files and doesn't modify the audio data itself.
Your player/decoder should give you an option to enable/disable the usage of this Replaygain information.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #2
Activating Replaygain only writes tags to the files and doesn't modify the audio data itself.
Your player/decoder should give you an option to enable/disable the usage of this Replaygain information.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=267719"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, should i enable the replaygain?

i've heard some people complaining that tags sometimes have a lot of problems....

Reply #4
the only problem with tags will come from using ID3 tags on FLAC files.  native FLAC tags should work everywhere.  replaygain tags are in the FLAC tags.

Josh

Reply #5
I always add replaygain and tags to my flacs.  ID3 tags on flac files is generally a bad thing that shouldn't happen.  Flac tags are great.  I'll agree with the statement about it being the software that would cause any problems with it, not the tags themselves. Besides, good players allow you to turn off replaygain anyway, so for people that don't like it they don't even have to use it.

Reply #6
@ davince:
I think, you are acting against a ToS, if you publish, where you get that music.
Please edit your first post.

I have collected some very high quality requirements and tutorials howto achieve high quality at http://www.high-quality.ch.vu
ReplayGain should be included to a good album, otehrwise you lose the offered additional options, quality of convenience during playing/decoding the music!

if people say, those recommendations would not be secure or would not warrant high quality, then they are wrong.
In fact, you will hear sometimes the opposite opinions, that some of those recommendations would be a little bit "overkill", but that isn't true. In fact those EAC settings recommended in the guides, sort out CDs, which are too scratched and would have likely audible glitches.

Though for some drives, I recommend EAC secure mode, and in EAC general there not high, bot low setting, ie. only 1 red row, not the 5 red rows. This combined with tool-limited extraction speed, like 8x, 4x speed of your drive read speed.

Otherwise certain drives would read way too long times on certain scratches.

Reply #7
@ davince:
I think, you are acting against a ToS, if you publish, where you get that music.
Please edit your first post.

I have collected some very high quality requirements and tutorials howto achieve high quality at http://www.high-quality.ch.vu
ReplayGain should be included to a good album, otehrwise you lose the offered additional options, quality of convenience during playing/decoding the music!

if people say, those recommendations would not be secure or would not warrant high quality, then they are wrong.
In fact, you will hear sometimes the opposite opinions, that some of those recommendations would be a little bit "overkill", but that isn't true. In fact those EAC settings recommended in the guides, sort out CDs, which are too scratched and would have likely audible glitches.

Though for some drives, I recommend EAC secure mode, and in EAC general there not high, bot low setting, ie. only 1 red row, not the 5 red rows. This combined with tool-limited extraction speed, like 8x, 4x speed of your drive read speed.

Otherwise certain drives would read way too long times on certain scratches.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=269675"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok, i've modified my first post.
can that be sufficient?

i have one more question...
how do you test if you get the best sound quality??
i mean, yes, musics are always related to psychology, but there's got to be some part of it related to things we can using scientific ways to compare?

Are there laboratories doing these kinds of tests on audio things?
like hardware, software, algorithms, and pc environments?

Reply #8
i have one more question...
how do you test if you get the best sound quality??
i mean, yes, musics are always related to psychology, but there's got to be some part of it related to things we can using scientific ways to compare?

Are there laboratories doing these kinds of tests on audio things?
like hardware, software, algorithms, and pc environments?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=269676"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought, you are referring to Lossless compression.
There is no need to compare qualities, Lossless is Lossless is Lossless without losses !
ape = flac = wavpack = = =

they differ in encoding, decoding speeds, and in filesizes, compression ratios, and compatibility on different OS.

you can measure every parameter yourself, by simply trying out, foobar2000 is great tool for this.

What you asked above, would refer to lossy codecs, like mp3, MPC Musepack, ogg, aac etc etc.
Your method to make scientific comparisons, quality evaluations:
ABX Tests
(which should avoid prejudices, the psychological influence)
foobar2000 will get you started, too.