Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Media Library and non-existent files (Read 16404 times) previous topic - next topic

Media Library and non-existent files

Reply #25
*.cue.nul ?

You see, none of these methods are applicable because "touching" these files in anyway will cause the bittorrent client to presume these files have been tampered with and thus prevent its seeding.

Asking for a regression is bad enough, asking for a regression solely for purposes like this is foolilsh.

Reply #26
But if your not continuously seeding it then its not a problem (as long as you revert it back when your are seeding) because bittorrent generates its SHA1 hash on the entire torrents contents

Or 2. Spread your seeds in another folder.

3. Hardlinking or symlinks.

Reply #27

Can you tell me 1 piece of working software in Windows (XP, Vista or any other) which has user-friendly manipulation with hard/symlinks? I guess no, because hard/symlinking is generally thing done in Unix/Linux systems. I agree that there's support for hard/symlinks but I guess only in Vista (or XP, but very limited).

Reply #28
Bittorrent? WTF are you talking about.   
I really don't understand why should I use foobar in the same way you do, just because you think it's wrong to use it as I've been doing it. It takes nothing to "fix" it, but you won't because I'm wrong. ?

Lol. I got 9.5.2 , it's ok for me.

Reply #29
Bittorrent? WTF are you talking about.   
I really don't understand why should I use foobar in the same way you do, just because you think it's wrong to use it as I've been doing it. It takes nothing to "fix" it, but you won't because I'm wrong. ?

Lol. I got 9.5.2 , it's ok for me.

Well the developer has told you that the "feature" you want is actually a bug that has been fixed so for all intents and purposes you are wrong and won't get what you want.

I don't really see what the point of having cue files that point to files that don't exist especially when you can use foobar's converter to create an album image with a cue sheet.

Reply #30
Whatever you think, or I think, or anyone else thinks, Peter's made it abundantly (and at times frustratingly) clear that he's got a pretty specific vision for Foobar2000, a vision that not everyone who uses the program shares.  It is not, like it or not, 'our' program, and all the railing about how he *should* be designing it according to 'our' whims (if you believe this to be the case; I do not) isn't going to make it so. Free or not, it doesn't matter. We're his audience, not his collaborators.

Now obviously, if he and the other developers weren't receptive to the wants and needs of that audience, the program wouldn't be as good as it is, and it wouldn't have evolved over the years to meet our needs, and it certainly wouldn't be as extensible and customizable as it is. And obviously it's frustrating when his vision for the program makes something that used to work no longer viable (see also every cwb_hooks and Panels UI discussion ever, as well as every discussion of why system date and time aren't available within the program).

And, you know, there are things I wish had been developed differently too. And there are issues I wish had been addressed differently by Peter and others. (See also every Panels UI discussion ever.) And we should absolutely ask for, and indeed put forth reasonable arguments for, new features or changes we'd like to see. But making demands? Never mind whether we have any right to do it, demands and arguments of 'CODE TO MY WHIMS, DEVELOPER-SLAVE' are simply not going to get the results we want. And sometimes we're just plain not going to get the results we want at all. Our choices there are to accept the program as it is or choose not to use the program (or the latest version of the program). Or, y'know, whine about it on the internet.

Now, as for the specific issue *here*? I'll admit I don't really get it, but I only use cue sheets for as long as it takes me to split a big huge file into individual pieces using the converter. But if it's a file-sharing issue that precludes you from changing the files involved in any way, why not just copy the files elsewhere on your system, put the *copies* in your music library and alter those copies to your heart's content? Sure, you end up using more disk space that way, but such is life.

Reply #31
I have to agree with majority of what DocBeard wrote. Developers (especially ones who write free/opensource software) have it really tough when it comes to situation like this (or any other). I think this topic should be locked, because we know Peter's opinion on this, we know that Maycito will stay with older version, and that's the end.

Reply #32
Anyone concerned can also trivially make a component which removes all tracks with non-existing REFERENCED_FILEs on playlist_callback::on_items_added event.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #33

Can you tell me 1 piece of working software in Windows (XP, Vista or any other) which has user-friendly manipulation with hard/symlinks? I guess no, because hard/symlinking is generally thing done in Unix/Linux systems. I agree that there's support for hard/symlinks but I guess only in Vista (or XP, but very limited).

You guess? Theres plenty out there if you just Google.

I use "Link Shell Extension" and its bloody awesome.

Reply #34
This change is intended - being unable to list cuesheet tracks when referenced files didn't exist was a bug and it got fixed.

For me is not a bug, is a big advantage.

Mistakes are hiding.

I've reinstalled 0.9.5.2.

Reply #35
If you're trying to say that the old behavior was better because you could see which cue sheets aren't properly configurated I should warn you that that's still possible.

Entries from a cue sheets that point to a wrong file will have a question mark in the duration column instead of the actual song length.

Reply #36
Well, since this issue isn't going anywhere, I just used a little app called Extension renamer to change everything in my library from .cue to .cuex. Problem solved.

& yes, it is indeed a problem. Just not for everybody. Hopefully I'll find the time to integrate an option into foobar itself. I'm thinking of just adding an "Ignore .cue files" checkbox, or something along that line. Too much to do for now, though.

Thanx for the "fix"   
The same except different.

Reply #37
Anyone concerned can also trivially make a component which removes all tracks with non-existing REFERENCED_FILEs on playlist_callback::on_items_added event.

This suggestion does seem very nice indeed. Unfortunately, the documentation seems pretty slim and I don't really have enough time to play around with the SDK.

Maybe if someone who has no problem making plugins could create a very small plugin for this and publish the source.

Reply #38
If only there were an "edit box" in the "Media Library" "preferences" where you could "Exclude:" "File Types".
Stay sane, exile.

Reply #39
Zao: massive
stimulating the audio nerve directly

Reply #40
If only there were an "edit box" in the "Media Library" "preferences" where you could "Exclude:" "File Types".

That has already been covered. This only excludes the files being added to the media library, but if you drop a folder into foobar, the playlist still shows the invalid references.

Reply #41

lol.

Yeah foobar provides about a million possible ways to resolve this, but none of the solutions satisfy these "people".
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #42

lol.

Yeah foobar provides about a million possible ways to resolve this, but none of the solutions satisfy these "people".

There's no solution in foobar that resolve this completely, so keep your condescending tone to yourself please.

Reply #43
Here, I'll make a list.

Possible, complete solutions:
Don't use cuesheets at all. Cuesheets were originally intended to be used with CDs that were ripped as one continuous file. If you've ripped each track as an individual file, then you have little need for cuesheets. Very,very little if you've ripped to a natively gapless format like  (but not limited to) FLAC, ogg Vorbis or LAME mp3.

2. Convert you cuesheets to playlists. I have no idea what the goals of some of you guys are with your cuesheets (you've been  very unclear on that thusfar), but if you are essentially using them as playlists, then you should use a more capable file format for that, like an actual playlist.

3a. Exclude cuesheets from being added to foobar's media library, as Zao has suggested. Simple, easy, practical.

3b. If you have a random assortment of CDs ripped per track and CDs ripped per disk, embed the necessary cuesheets into your "per disk rips" and then  exclude .cues from the media library.

4. Put your offending cuesheets in a separate directory that isn't scanned by the media library. Sure I can here the objection already: "but i like to keep my files together..." Well, if that were the case, WTF are you doing with cuesheet entries that point to missing files to begin with?

5. Find someone with some C++ experience to develop you a component.

6. Find a different audioplayer that has developers that cave into the demands of the whiny users. Good luck on it being as excellent as foobar2000 in any other regard: whiny users tend to suck at figuring out the best way to solve problems. This is especially bad when done via democratic process.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #44
I use 'em for burning. It takes no time at all to re-convert my .flacs to .wavs, double-click the .cue to open EAC, and burn a perfect copy. But that's besides the point. It's really a minor issue. No need to get all worked up & whine, or, conversely, whine about whiners. Besides, I see "devs cave into the demands of whiners" all the time - they're called "plugins" (just havin' some fun there; sorry, I had to - don't get too worked up) 

For some reason, 3a didn't work for me. I probably screwed something up, though. 5 is a nice solution otherwise. 6... I already dealt with that.

Thanks for explaining the reason for the bugfix. I guess my music archiving habits are backwards to most. But hey, that's how I roll. :]   

Cheers!

[Edit] It seems the latest version works much better in this regard - thanks!  :]

Reply #45
Excuse the bump, but for any of you who may still be frustrated with this, you can try http://wintense.com/plugins/foo_cuefilter - works fine.

Sorry it took me so long to post about this little plugin. :]