Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: going bonkers trying to figure out id3 tags in EAC (Read 2355 times) previous topic - next topic

going bonkers trying to figure out id3 tags in EAC

Can someone point me in the right direction? I am trying to get the basic ID3V2 tags to end up in my mp3's while using the command line option of LAME.EXE v3.96 in EAC.

I can't get ID3 music type (GENRE (%I)) and CD Title (%L) to work. %L is the same variable EAC uses for its' low quality encoding option (%l%h) and LAME won't even try to encode the file, it bombs.  %i, dumps nothing into the field, even though it is set in the cd info correctly.

My command line looks like this:

--abr 256 -F -q1 --add-id3v2 --tt "%t" --ta "%a" --ty "%y" --tn "%n"  %l %h %s%d

I don't use a low and a high encoding. I just have use one.

I don't want to give up on EAC. It has worked fabulously for A LONG TIME. I just want to be able to use the ID3v2 tags which has more space to put information.

Can anyone give me a hand? Is there a better option? I like not having to create the wav file and then try to create the tags from the wav file with another program later.

Thanks.
Calvin

Reply #1
%I is used for genre when using EAC's filename formatting.  I can't see where %L is ever relevant.

When dealing with the command line the following placeholders are available (taken from FAQ.txt):

Code: [Select]
    %s        Source filename
   %d        Destination filename
   %h...%h   Text "..." only when "High quality" selected
   %l...%l   Text "..." only when "Low quality" selected
   %c...%c   Text "..." only when "CRC checksum" selected
   %r        Bitrate ("32".."320")
   %a        CD artist
   %g        CD title
   %t        Track title
   %y        Year
   %n        Track number
   %m        MP3 music genre
   %o        Original filename (without temporary renaming)
   %e        Comment (as selected in EAC)

Therefore you need %m for Genre, and %g for CD Title/Album, e.g.:

--abr 256 -F -q1 --add-id3v2 --tt "%t" --ta "%a" --tl "%g" --tg "%m" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

NB: a preset would be advisable over "--abr 256 -F -q1" - but your call.

Edit: Using "--add-id3v2" you are recording both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags.  If you just want ID3v2 use "--id3v2-only" - or more likely "--id3v2-only --pad-id3v2".  Check the wiki for more info.  The wiki will also clear up your obvious confusion with %l...%l and %h...%h as well.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
That's different than what is on the ID3 Tag screen for EAC. It lists %L - CD Title and there isn't even a %G option (Found under Compression options ID3 Tag Tab.

Thanks. I will give it a try.

Calvin

Reply #3
There are a few areas it seems where placeholders are used, and none of them use the exact same scheme.

You just need to use the right scheme for the right place.

The tab you quote appears to refer to renaming MP3s from their ID3 tags.

I'm not quite sure how I discovered the list in FAQ.txt.  Maybe I just decided that my question must have been asked before... frequently.

Maybe a dashing, handsome, wise man once guided me.  (cue "The Circle of Life")
I'm on a horse.