Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: advice need on twin rad woofer build (Read 1392 times) previous topic - next topic

advice need on twin rad woofer build

im building my own version of the

Passive Dayton Audio Reference 15" With Dual Passive Radiator Subwoofer Kit

that has a Finished internal cabinet volume: 3.2 cubic feet

an is pair with twin 15in rads the Dayton Audio RSS390-PR 15" Aluminum Cone Passive Radiator

my question is does it have to be square to still work right with the rads

my design is flat but still is  3.2 cubic feet

with the rads a sub driver all on the same side in a rad - drive - rad orientation

would this still work

as iv never build a rad based design before only ported

my internal box specs are

width 16.9in

hight 47in

deep 7.25in

for 3.333cubic feet

just to know im useing a audiopipe sub in my build

i might use some Acry-Tech Acoust-X 1 inside the box if that would help

well let me know what ya'll think ?

Re: advice need on twin rad woofer build

Reply #1
my question is does it have to be square to still work right with the rads

my design is flat but still is  3.2 cubic feet
That should be OK as long as there's enough room for the air to "move".   Bass wavelengths are really-long relative to the box-size so the shape isn't too critical.   At higher frequencies, square is the worst shape because the internal standing waves resonate at the same frequency in all dimensions.

with the rads a sub driver all on the same side in a rad - drive - rad orientation

would this still work
I don't think that matters either...  If you had two active  woofers you'd want them moving in & out together even if one woofer was mounted on the back.  So, I assume a passive radiator is similar.

Re: advice need on twin rad woofer build

Reply #2
P.S.

Since you're building it yourself you might want to play around with WinISD to check the (predicted) performance with a larger box.    Often, the cabinet is smaller than optimum just for practical-space reasons.     And if you build it larger and it doesn't "sound right", you can always do something to reduce the internal volume.    Do you have the parameters for the passive radiator?   (The Dayton woofer parameters are usually available.)