Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #8] Foobar and ASIO? Some help to configure very well (Read 3599 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #8] Foobar and ASIO? Some help to configure very well

Hi to all!

I have bought a Musiland US 01 that use ASIO Drivers.

I want to use them for better audio quality.

My player is FOOBAR 2000.

Some one can explain how to configure very well FOOBAR to use ASIO?

I need only to select the MUSELAND ASIO from the layback menu or I need to modify some option?

Please explain.

Thanks very much

Reply #1
ASIO is specifically designed for low-latency audio output. This is not needed or even desirable for normal music playback. ASIO is not going to help you get better audio quality and can sometimes be a pain in the butt to configure, so I suggest sticking with DirectSound.

Reply #2
I use to play FLAC file with my Denon ampli.

I have heard that ASIO have a very good quality respect to direct Sound. True?

Reply #3
no

Reply #4
You “have read” and “have heard” a lot of things, eh? A more skeptical approach to such things might be an idea to consider.

dhromed, apparently (according to another thread by the OP) Windows’ mixer applies some (probably inaudible) processing when DirectSound is used, and Antigen was informed that WASAPI or ASIO would bypass this. Whether it’s worth the hassle for something that is probably inaudible is another matter. (But if you read somewhere that it’s audible, then that’s another story! )

Reply #5
I have read that Direct Sound cut some resolution and frequency.

For example I have read that direct sound reduce the "resolution" to 12 bit and the solution is the use of ASIO and FOOBAR

It's true?

But if I use a FLAC at 24 bit 96kHz????

Reply #6
I use to play FLAC file with my Denon ampli.

I have heard that ASIO have a very good quality respect to direct Sound. True?

Drivers like ASIO or WASAPI talk straight to the driver of the sound card.
This allows for changing the settings of the sound card to match the source e.g. setting the sound card to the sample rate of the source.

One thing is obvious; you can get bit perfect playback only by choosing:
hardware supporting multiple sample rates,
hardware driver (sound card) supporting multiple sample rates,
a driver allowing for direct communication with the sound card,
a media player supporting this driver and capable of setting the properties of the sound card to match the source.

Your bit perfect playback is at the mercy of the programmer.