Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AMD True Audio: doesn't TTA have "prior art"? (Read 6052 times) previous topic - next topic

AMD True Audio: doesn't TTA have "prior art"?

AMD Announces TrueAudio Technology For Upcoming GPUs

As part of today’s public session for AMD’s 2014 GPU product showcase, AMD has announced a new audio technology for some of their upcoming GPUs. Dubbed TrueAudio, Although technical details are light at this time – more is certainly to come under NDA – what AMD is describing would be consistent with them having integrated some form of audio DSP into their relevant GPUs.

AMD's technology being some sort of Digital Sound Processing, and TTA (True Audio) being a lossless codec (close enough!), doesn't its author stand to come to some sort of agreement with AMD on the use of the "True Audio" trademark? Maybe there's a few bucks to be rightfully made here.

Reply #1
As TTA is not a registered trademark (I presume) it weakens it somewhat, trademarks are not like patents where there is prospect of large $$$ if someone uses your widget idea, for example if AMD refuses to play ball, a court case, perhaps in the USA would have to be filed, and after possibly $70K to $400K has been spent would action be granted, and what is weighed is the commercial damage inflicted from someone being confused by the similarity.

AMD know this, if the competition was Microsoft / Apple, they would not release this name...

Reply #2
Yeah, and besides trademark issues, I think 'True Audio' is not really worthy of being trademarkable anyway, it's too generic.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #3
I don't think True Audio is too generic, but usually for a trademark lawsuit to have good odds you have to have similarity, confusion, etc between the products.  Since one is an open source audio codec, and the other a line of hardware DSP units, I think they're probably different enough that its not going to be a successful suit.

Reply #4
I thought TTA was TrueTypeAudio ?

And by the way, what is the correct syntax to use in Windows XP to get TTA to encode and decode a WAV file using the "%1" pointer?  I am currently working on contextual menus using the * root filetypes registry entry.
Be a false negative of yourself!