Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 playback error - hardware issue (Read 1894 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 playback error - hardware issue

All of my music is stored on my external hard disk which is plugged into a 3.1 port. My computer is new and the hard disk is only 2 years old.

The reason I mention this is because my music keeps stopping from my hard disk being disconnected which would indicate faulty port or older hardware - neither of which is the case. I have changed ports to the same result.

How do I fix this?

Re: Foobar2000 playback error - hardware issue

Reply #1
Is the external drive powered only from the USB port, or does it have its own plug-in cable power supply?

Reply #2
Have you checked for BIOS updates? Vendors tend to improve compatibility issues with those.

Reply #4
My Asus motherboard has problems with USB 3.1 in XHCI mode -- I get occasional complete disconnects of all devices. I have to disable XHCI for them to function stably. It's a flaw endemic to the X99/A USB 3.1 strand of Asus mobos, and possibly other brands and models as well. I've had two replacement boards and they all have the problem.

Typically it happens once you begin to actually use the USB controller more than just light mousing or keyboard work.

Of the 10 or so USB3.1 ports on my motherboard, two are powered by a different chipset - those work fine in XHCI mode. Check your manual, and the USB controllers, as you may be having the same problem.
Don't forget International Talk Like A Pirate Day! September the 19th!

Reply #5
Is the external drive powered only from the USB port, or does it have its own plug-in cable power supply?
It's direct from USB port.

I asked because I have seen cases where an external USB disc burner drive without its own power supply had disconnects on heavy use.  But of course try Case's suggestion before buying a new drive.

Reply #6
My Asus motherboard has problems with USB 3.1 in XHCI mode -- I get occasional complete disconnects of all devices. I have to disable XHCI for them to function stably. It's a flaw endemic to the X99/A USB 3.1 strand of Asus mobos, and possibly other brands and models as well. I've had two replacement boards and they all have the problem.

Typically it happens once you begin to actually use the USB controller more than just light mousing or keyboard work.

Of the 10 or so USB3.1 ports on my motherboard, two are powered by a different chipset - those work fine in XHCI mode. Check your manual, and the USB controllers, as you may be having the same problem.

As a matter of fact you might be right about USB 3.1.

I updated my BIOS and I connected my external hard disk to 3.1, 3.0 and 2.0. It connects fine on 2.0 and 3.0 but 3.1 it *is* connected but does not show on My Computer. It's strange. The BIOS update seems to have made it worse somehow. Now it won't show on My Computer altogether with 3.1.

Thanks, Case, for telling me to update.