Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mp1, mp2 encoder? (Read 5955 times) previous topic - next topic

mp1, mp2 encoder?

What are the best encoders for mp1 and mp2.

Someone said that mp2 is better than mp3. So I was just wondering how I could encode in the two above formats.

mp1, mp2 encoder?

Reply #1
Originally posted by UnSteAdy
What are the best encoders for mp1 and mp2.

There exists TooLame for mp2. I don't know of anything else actually.

Someone said that mp2 is better than mp3. So I was just wondering how I could encode in the two above formats.

Someone said Elvis is alive too.

--
GCP

mp1, mp2 encoder?

Reply #3
Well, I have tested Qdesign mp2 realtime codec and Qdesign I-media Audio 2 mpeg layer1 and layer2 encoders.

All I can say is that while those might be better in some areas, those versions I tested suffered from non-tweaked psychoacoustics, even at VERY high bitrates (I mean higher than MP3 max 320kbps).

To see what a subband coder can do when properly implemented (tweaked psychoacoustics, vbr etc) MPC is a perfect example. It's the highest quality mid/high bitrate encoder available. It's in principle much further developed mp2 encoder (or at least shares similarities).

I would say that a well tweaked mp3 encoder (Lame) is better than not so well tweaked mp1/mp2 encoders. Of course I'm talking about high bitrate. At lower bitrates (<224kbps) mp3 is much better, no question about that. But as MPC shows, it's possible to achieve higher than mp3 quality at mid bitrates with a subband coder.
Juha Laaksonheimo

mp1, mp2 encoder?

Reply #4
Originally posted by UnSteAdy
Someone said that mp2 is better than mp3.

You probably read it from KM's site. Don't believe him. That guy is mad.

Quoting from his "Best of Audio Compression Technology" page
( http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/miles/528/audiocomp1.htm )

MP2 was released before MP3, to my ears it has better sound quality, I believe because MP2 encoding isnt tweaking the wav files so much. Another feature of MP2 is that the CPU usage is generally lower.

and

The main difference between MP2-192 and MP3 (128 and up) is that the sound is more open, natural and dynamic. MP2 does not have the phasing , squishy effect of some MP3s and it does not have the distant and dull character of VQF.

Unbelievable...

Edit: As for the encoders, the only program that encodes MP1 (And MP2 and MP3, by the way) that I know is SCMPX

But it's dist10 code with very few optimizations, so don't expect highest quality.

The address: http://www.din.or.jp/~ch3/scmpx_e.html

Regards;

Roberto.

mp1, mp2 encoder?

Reply #5
It is not unbelievable that MP2 can be better than MP3. I believe that at high bitrates, MP2 can be better than MP3.

MP3 is basically MP2 with an additional MDCT stage. This stage allows for better compressibility of the data allowing more information to be stored in less space, that's why it is often thought of that MP3 achieves the quality of MP2 at half the bitrate (not exactly true). This makes MP3 more usable at around the bitrates of 128kbps.

But the MDCT stage is also the reason why MP3 has never been able to achieve high quality at the high bitrates, and this is due to preecho and transient problems which are characteristic of all transform coders.

Therefore at high bitrates, it is very possible that MP2 can be better than MP3.

This is why MPC is built mostly on MP2 technics. MPC is basically MP2 with very well tuned psychoacoustics model, some extra features, and more efficient data coding.

mp1, mp2 encoder?

Reply #6
Ooops...

Thanks a lot for the info, Tangent.

Although I still don't believe everything Madsen says in his comparisions.

Anybody remember vqf.com forum?