Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Linux software for "soundfields" (Read 7719 times) previous topic - next topic

Linux software for "soundfields"

Is it possible to duplicate the soundfield synthesis DSP processing that receivers have been doing for quite some time in quasi-real time under Linux? (I say quasi-real time since I can tolerate lag.) I particularly liked the "Hall", "Jazz", etc. settings that was part the Cinema DSP on my recently deceased Yamaha receiver (forget the model number...vintage of approximately the turn of the millineum), but would like to be able to adjust the various settings for grins. This would involve up-mixing, ideally from 2 to 5.1 channels.

Re: Linux software for "soundfields"

Reply #1
Yes. It is possible. It would require quite some coding (programming) effort on your part, as well as a substantial bit of information on exactly what the "soundfield" you liked was.

The processing itself is not particularly scary for a modern I3 or I5, or equivalent, and can be heavily parallelized as well as pipelined.
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Re: Linux software for "soundfields"

Reply #2
Thanks for the response. It would be a fun project to code up but would take more time than I can commit. (I write DSP heavy code partly for a living so my hobby time is spent on something else. :) )  I was hoping that someone had already done it for me, though, but apparently not. It looks like the best bet is to just get another Yamaha receiver.