Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: library data storage - flac vs AAC - J River vs iTunes (Read 2384 times) previous topic - next topic

library data storage - flac vs AAC - J River vs iTunes

Hello all

I have two music databases, one composed of flac files I play at home from hard drives via J River and the other is iTunes consisting of 95 percent AAC files with a few Mp3s.

I Have just spent a bunch of time cleaning up the iTunes library, combining multi-disc albums into single groups, renaming, correcting dates, cover art etc.

I am somewhat unclear as to how these differing formats save data - I understand (i think) flac files each contain tag data (metadata). Do AAC files share this trait or is all that stored in the iTunes library files or is it a combination of the two?
In other words, what role do the library files and file metadata play in each format / player?

Thx - Jeff A