Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to extract letf and right channel from MP3 ? (Read 6834 times) previous topic - next topic

How to extract letf and right channel from MP3 ?

hi !
here is my problem:
I have stereo mp3s and I'd
like to extract the left and right
channel to separate files.
To put it simply, I want to turn stereo mp3s into
2 mono mp3s.
Is there a software to do this ?
Thanks !

Reply #1
I just used SOX to do something like this yesterday.  You can find out more about it here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sox
Dave

Reply #2
hi !
here is my problem:
I have stereo mp3s and I'd
like to extract the left and right
channel to separate files.
To put it simply, I want to turn stereo mp3s into
2 mono mp3s.
Is there a software to do this ?
Thanks !

This will not be possible to do losslessly on any MP3 encoded using Joint Stereo, and most use it. So, you're going to end up having to transcode to do this.

Reply #3
Doing this losslessly will not even be possible with -m s files.

The encoder may (and should) decide to give more bits to one of the channels if it is more complex than the other.

Reply #4
I've wondered about this a lot. would it be possible to take a CBR 192kbps -m s file, and change it to a mono VBR file which contains just the left (or right) channel exactly? Isn't it possible to "just" re-pack the appropriate data without re-encoding it?

I know this is far from trivial, but impossible?

Cheers,
David.

P.S. my application is that I have a lot of files of very old music which is really mono, but encoded -m s - NO NEEEED!

Reply #5
Well in fact I my mp3s are not joint stereo, they're "dual mono". What is on the left channel
if totally different from what is on the right. I need to extract the left and right channel
without quality loss so no decoding then re-encoding ! This would sound absolutely horrible...
(they were encoded  at 80 kbps only)