Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AC-3 vs DTS (Read 54349 times) previous topic - next topic

AC-3 vs DTS

Hey!

I have this pop question about  AC-3 vs DTS.
Which is well addressed here http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/273396-DTS-vs-AC3
DTS uses a completely different algorithm and much higher bit rates than AC3 does. DTS is usually louder than AC3 and studies have shown that all things being equal, most people will perceive a louder sound as being higher quality than the exact same sound at a lower volume. Both are lossy. DTS does some high frequency roll off to save space that I don't think AC3 does. Basically, most adults start to lose their ability to hear high frequency sounds, so DTS just throws away any sound above a certain threshold because most adults won't hear it anyway.

AC3 takes up much less space, but DTS is perceived by most to be higher quality. edDV is completely correct. Many people with DVD players can't decode DTS at all. Most players don't contain a chip capable of decoding it because that adds to the cost of the player, so that pushes the decoding to the amplifier, if the person even has one. I know plenty of people with DVD players who don't own amps. Basically any DVD player that costs less than $100 US probably won't be able to decode DTS in the player and will have to send the signal to an amp for decoding. For greatest compatibility with other people, you have to use AC3 because it is an absolute requirement that ALL DVD players sold everywhere in the world must be capable of decoding the AC3 track within the player itself.

DTS DOES sound cristal on my computer but It takes up way too much disk space and probably won't play on all BR-Players.
AC3 sounds really poor to my ears but is more compatible and consumes less disk space

Known the technical differences between then, I still wonder if DTS is a trend for the near future or AC3 will stand long popular.
I installed AC-3 audio codec on my system but I found no differences at all. (using VLC, mplayer MP-HC) AC3 still poor and not loud enough (I mean, I have to set the volume sky high to get a good loudness)

What you guys have to say?

Thanks

AC-3 vs DTS

Reply #2
DTS already won the HD war.  All the major studios use DTS-HD now.

AC-3 vs DTS

Reply #4
"I still wonder if DTS is a trend for the near future or AC3 will stand long popular"? It's not unusual to refer to these codecs nowadays (i.e. the future of 2007, when that post was made) as legacy codecs. These are only in blu-rays cause of backward compatibility. In DTS-HD, it has a "core" DTS which a decoder can extract if it can't decode DTS-HD. Most if not all Dolby TrueHD blu-rays have a DD track that is interleaved in the same stream that decoders can also extract, but it's not a "core" in that the THD track is self-sufficient.

Also, DTS has most of the blu-ray market, but Dolby (with DD and DD+) has pretty much all of the broadcast market and even the streaming and downloadable market. As much as I hate streaming/downloads in favor of blu-ray or better, I think streaming will only get more popular, if it isn't already. Don't know how things are coming around over there in Brazil though.

AC-3 vs DTS

Reply #5
Thanks for replying.
Seems that DTS is the way to go! forgive my layman. I'm just getting around with these audio codecs; Last time i checked out there was the HD-DVD vs Blu-ray battle.
As for Brazil, it's too slow/weak system in order to have a say in these technological matters. So we just follow (as always) whatever comes from US/EU. Brazil doesn't invent, it copies.

AC-3 vs DTS

Reply #6
Thanks for replying.
Seems that DTS is the way to go! forgive my layman. I'm just getting around with these audio codecs; Last time i checked out there was the HD-DVD vs Blu-ray battle.
As for Brazil, it's too slow/weak system in order to have a say in these technological matters. So we just follow (as always) whatever comes from US/EU. Brazil doesn't invent, it copies.

EU/US and also Japan.Brazil is a joke, it doesn't even copy, it just imports copied things from other countries, mainly China
(P.S.: I'm Brazilian, unfortunately).

AC-3 vs DTS

Reply #7
Probably "adopt" is a better word. Dolby and DTS are used worldwide, Blu-ray is not only EU/US/JP.