Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: VSTs as UI elements  (Read 1537 times) previous topic - next topic

VSTs as UI elements

hi everybody!!

after nearly 15 year of using another (not exactly Windows) media-player i recently changed to foobar2000 and after long nights of playing around with, i ask myself why i took so long to discover this awesome program :-)

getting to the point;
- as i read, currently it's not possible to display a third party VST as part of an UI element, am I right?
- because of that, i'm trying to use (for example) a second window of the album art viewer, as i saw in other posts, to simply display a permanent image of the TDR VOS SlickEQ i'm using (i know it would be a very sad solution...).

the problem is that i don´t know about scripts...could anybody please help me?

thank you!!

Re: VSTs as UI elements

Reply #1
If you enable VSTs in Foobar, imagine the metering and other possibilities!  I wonder if Stenberg has a standards whitepaper that explains how to call VSTs.  I think it might be easier than we think.  But I do not know, either.

Reply #3
thank you for your replies. this morning i figured out how to run my "fake solution":
while the real equalizer is running in the background, the album art displays an image of it instead of the "artist picture".

it was really easy, i just didn't look for it in the right place...hahaha!!!

knowing myself in a few days i'll get to go looking for the real thing... :))

thanks again!!
:-)

Reply #4
It would also be suggested to run VST components out-of-process, which kind of messes with their ability to dock within the player. Good reasons to do it out of process:

1) Support either 32 or 64 bit, regardless of program architecture.
2) Crashes, which have been proven to happen frequently with all of the current foobar2000 VST wrappers, would be offset to an external application, so they wouldn't impact the main player in any way, other than by dropping the DSP from the processing chain.

My foo_midi component already does two things out of process. It loads VST instruments out of process, and it loads the so-called Secret Sauce out of process. The latter is especially good, because it makes it load even faster than the official VST instrument, which wastes time duplicating the core library into your temporary folder for every instance it creates in-process.

Reply #5
kode54, since your midi plugin handles VST instruments already, is there any chance you might take pity and do a general VST wrapper plugin also?  The world would beat a path to your door  :)

Reply #6
It would also be suggested to run VST components out-of-process, which kind of messes with their ability to dock within the player. Good reasons to do it out of process:

1) Support either 32 or 64 bit, regardless of program architecture.
2) Crashes, which have been proven to happen frequently with all of the current foobar2000 VST wrappers, would be offset to an external application, so they wouldn't impact the main player in any way, other than by dropping the DSP from the processing chain.

My foo_midi component already does two things out of process. It loads VST instruments out of process, and it loads the so-called Secret Sauce out of process. The latter is especially good, because it makes it load even faster than the official VST instrument, which wastes time duplicating the core library into your temporary folder for every instance it creates in-process.

as long as i noticed the VST only tends to crash if you touch it or look at it too hard!!
 :))  :))  :))  :))  :))  :))