Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MPEG4IP implementation (Read 3718 times) previous topic - next topic

MPEG4IP implementation

Hi all, I am now finding ways to optimize the performance of the quantization part of faac in MPEG4IP. Does anyone have any opinion? Anything helpful is ok...esp. about the use of SSE / SSE2 to enhance the performance. Thx much!

MPEG4IP implementation

Reply #1
What I wonder is, that is it wise at all to include faac in MPEG4IP. Since it's mainly a demonstration encoder, and not very good quality at all, imo it could work more against the acceptance of AAC than for it..
Juha Laaksonheimo

MPEG4IP implementation

Reply #2
What I wonder is, that is it wise at all to include faac in MPEG4IP. Since it's mainly a demonstration encoder, and not very good quality at all, imo it could work more against the acceptance of AAC than for it..

I'm not trying to say that the quality is great, but have you looked at it in the last 6 months, JohnV? It's changed completely within that time frame.

MPEG4IP implementation

Reply #3
Yes, FAACs quality raised a lot recently, to my surprise. That's why I posted Psytel vs FAAC in General AAC few weeks ago.

MPEG4IP implementation

Reply #4
I'm not trying to say that the quality is great, but have you looked at it in the last 6 months, JohnV? It's changed completely within that time frame.

Do you have a compiled binary for checking this out? Roberto's version is quite old, as far as I remember...
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ - "That lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg..."
INDIGO ROCKS - "Down home rockin' blues. Tasty as strudel."

MPEG4IP implementation

Reply #5
Excuse me...I have to stick to the use of faac at the moment, due to the nature of my project. May I know whether you have any suggestion about what I can improve in the faac encoder...esp. the quantization part? Thanks all of your opinion and suggestions.

MPEG4IP implementation

Reply #6
Are there any plans to support one of the codec plugin systems, that are being developed right now, by the MPEG4IP team ?

Such a plugin system would make your life a lot easier, as you wouldnt have to redistribute the complete MPEG4IP package once the encoder gets updated.

Look here :

http://www.xiph.org  ; Monty is working on a codec API for Theora, i am pretty sure it could get used for FAAC also

http://uci.sf.net

http://www.codecs.org  ; Erik Waltinsen is the founder of the great GStreamer media frame work and told me recently he has own plans of a codeo API to allow the use of codec plugins. Note there is nothing on this site yet ....

I was posting a feature request to the FAAC project on sourceforge lately, asking about UCI support ... lol .... i obviously got no reply yet as UCI is far from being usable right now ...