Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need a decent sound recorder (Read 3353 times) previous topic - next topic

Need a decent sound recorder

Anyone know a straight-forward sound recorder I can use for taking sound from my sound card and making wav's? I have SoundForge 7 and CoolEdit Pro 2.1 but I got fed up with them and decided they're overkill for what I need, which is something small, simple but good quality (preferably freeware). The input is from my minidisc player, and next I need to make them into wav's, then mp3 (via LAME 3.90.3m).

Reply #2
Audacity is also an option.

Reply #3
StopChop is a quick and dirty solution.

Reply #4
HardDiskOgg is my personal choice. Despite the name it also records in wav.

Reply #5
I have used the Nero WAV editor for this. It works quite nicely.

Reply #6
I am a very satisfied user of Wave Repair, a good simple, low-cost utility for recording and cleaning up sound. Great features if you record from a turntable.

Reply #7
I like the look of HardDiskOgg. A couple of suggestions I tried and didn't like, they were still too complex for what I need, which is something very basic and takes no brain to figure out...

Thanks for all the replies.

Reply #8
Hello,
  I have found a nice shareware program called Audiotools.
  It records to WAV but on other format too. The best of this software is the ability to process sound on the fly. For example for tape recordings I use the following sequence of plugin:

Denoise (removes the hiss from tapes and analog audio sources)
Gain (It automatically amplifies to the correct gai value)
Band Pass filter (20 - 17900 Hz)

In the configuration I have choosen to remove AC line noise (50 or 60hz) and DC audio noise.

For digitalization I use the "Tip 'n' tail" mode. The software removes the silence at the start of the sound and the one at the end. It maintains the sound in the middle because the silence considered as the "end of the recording" is configurable.

You can also do use a straight recordings, auto spilt tracks recording mode, manual splitting and many more.

The link is http://www.unrelatedinventions.com/Audiotools/

I suggest you to read deeply the documentation to exploit all of its function and understand the working of its simple but sometimes confusing gui (it has skins)

Hecatombles