Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP (Read 516866 times) previous topic - next topic

WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP

Reply #675
Yes, it is technically possible to add an option to my plug-in to override the native FLAC tagging support in Windows 10.

However, switching in WMP from one tagging support implementation to another on-the-fly isn't without danger. WMP will always try to keep the tags in the file in sync with the tags in its library. So after switching, it will write the missing tags back to the file, meaning that the original tags in the file are erased.

To prevent this, I would only allow a change of the new 'override' option while there are no FLAC songs in WMP's library. This would force you to temporarily remove all FLAC songs from the library. A bit of a hassle, but the alternative (loss of tags) is much worse. And this manual action would be a one-time thing.

Just let me know what you think, then I might add such an option.

Reply #676
That would be wonderful.

But maybe wait a little while. I do not think Microsoft cares much about the WMP, but that Groove music app has the same problems with flac files (I do not have any "High-Res" files by the way). And maybe they will fix that., and thereby fix the WMP too.

Reply #677
I use WMP on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.
I install:
- FLACPropertyHandlerSetup_x64 (v1.5)
- WMPTagPlus-2.5
- K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1136_Mega

All file .mp3 show Album Artist and Contributing Artist as normal.
File .flac:
1. If view file flac with <media info> have propperty  (sample)
  WM/UNIQUEFILEIDENTIFIER    : ;
  WM/WMCOLLECTIONGROUPID      : {518E5E81-FF17-4EA0-82FC-6A0B1752DD05}
  WM/WMCOLLECTIONID          : {518E5E81-FF17-4EA0-82FC-6A0B1752DD05}
  WM/WMCONTENTID              : {28F6F5F4-53CB-4A03-880E-E84742FFE0C3}
  ==> on WMP library show both Album Artist and Contributing Artist.

2. If view file flac with <media info> do not have these propperty (above)
on WMP library only show Album Artist (group on left side) (One Artist / an album), but WMP do not show Aritst of each song in album. (column Contributing Artist blank)

I use dBpoweramp and Tag&Rename to view and edit flac tag. Tags on these programs is correct.

Anyone can fix this problem?

Reply #678
You don't need to install any of those 3 packages for FLAC support in Windows 10. Microsoft has added native support for FLAC there. However, Microsoft's support isn't complete (yet?), which explains why the Contributing Artist tag is sometimes not picked up.

Reply #679
Announcement: WMP Tag Plus 2.6 has gone out of beta and the final version is now available for download. There are no new features or fixes compared to the beta version. See the Version History page for a detailed list of what's new and what has been fixed since version 2.5.

Regarding the use of WMP Tag Plus for FLAC on Windows 10, this update doesn't change anything about that. The native FLAC support is still always used and there is no 'override' option in WMP Tag Plus yet. More on that later.

Reply #680
I think 'Artist' names longer than 31 characters are causing issues - I'm not sure if it is Windows 10 or with WMP Tag Plus - or somewhere else. I'm using the latest ver. 2.6. And I've tried several ways to change 'Artist', ID-Tag (dbPoweramp) or Mp3Tag. In the screendump the first two tracks are listed with "Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Da" and the next tracks with artist set to "Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark" - as You can see tracknumber and AlbumArtist disappears. If I have more characters than 31 plus a second artist (with seperator) it looks like track 7 (indeed weird in WMP). If You have several more artists, but with 'short' names, all is OK - even above 31 characters. Am I doing something wrong? (Text is in a Danish win10/Explorer and danish WMP - 'kunstner = Artist", 'Ukendt' = Unknown)

Reply #681
Am I doing something wrong?

No. It's Windows 10 doing it wrong.
I have the same problem. Especially Jazz albums with several artists were badly messed up. Many albums half recognized, half not.

I have turned WMP off for now, deleted  the database, and use a foobar portable with facets to browse in the cover art. After FreeFieSync wanted to sync my entire flac collection after it was in WMP, I am not letting that thing anywhere near my collection again for now.

Reply #682
I think 'Artist' names longer than 31 characters are causing issues - I'm not sure if it is Windows 10 or with WMP Tag Plus - or somewhere else.

hopfi is correct; WMP Tag Plus isn't used for FLAC on Windows 10 so this is an issue with Microsoft's FLAC support. I suggest that you use the feedback tool in Windows 10 to report it.

Reply #683
Yes, it is technically possible to add an option to my plug-in to override the native FLAC tagging support in Windows 10.

Unlike what I've said here, I have decided not to add such an override option to WMP Tag Plus after all. I'm afraid that it will cause too many issues, such as a possible loss of tags when the plug-in gets disabled/uninstalled, or when the 64-bit version of WMP is used.

Instead, I have put instructions online on how to disable Windows 10's native FLAC tag support altogether. This will also force the use of WMP Tag Plus for FLAC on Windows 10, and is much safer than the override option.

These instructions can be found on the new WMP Tag Plus FAQ wiki page ("How do I disable Microsoft's native FLAC tag support in Windows 10?").

Reply #684
Thank you. Followed your instructions on a W10 Pro 64, and FLAC tags are then perfectly recognized in both WMP and Groove app.

But FLAC files do not play. Installed a Media Foundation FLAC Codec. Did not help.

Reply #685
What's the error message? Is this in WMP, Groove, or both? How are you starting playback?

If you use the .reg file to undo your changes, does that fix it again?

Reply #686
Both Grovve and WMP do not play FLAC.
With the codec installed, Groove gives out this message: http://i.imgur.com/6Fw8tPq.jpg  Sorry it is in german. But the message is not really helpful.
WMP does nothing, or freezes & crashes, when I start playback.
And I think I tried every possible way of starting playback.

When I uninstall the codec, and try to start playback, I get the message that the file type is not supported. Both in Groove and WMP. WMP does not freeze anymore.

The rollback with your .reg file did not work. Yes, I restarted. Tried it twice.

Reply #687
Did the .reg file fail to restore native FLAC tag support? Or did it fail to fix playback? Or both?

Reply #688
FLAC tag support was set back to native, according to WMP Tag Plus. Did not check by adding new flac files to the library.

Playback is broken.

EDIT

Just tried fixing it by taking the reg files from another machine. Did not work.

Reply #689
The .reg file reverts everything that you changed by following the instructions. If FLAC playback is still broken after that, then it must have been already broken before you followed the instructions. However, you could still try rolling back to the system restore point that was created in step 1.

Disabling tag support shouldn't have any impact on playback - the two are completely separated in Windows (just like there is WMP Tag Plus on one side and there are codecs on the other). To be really sure, I also verified if FLAC playback still worked after testing my instructions on Windows 10, and it did.

Reply #690
Went to a backup where I was sure that playback had still worked. And did the registry modifications again.

This time it works. Tags are fine in the WMP and playback works too.

But FLAC tags in the Groove app are still a complete mess, also covers not showing. Strangely, that was different on the attempt before. But I have no idea what I did differently.

Reply #691
WMP Tag Plus only works in WMP. I haven't checked it but the plug-in probably doesn't even get loaded when using Groove. There are no plans to extend the plug-in to work in Groove as well.

Reply #692
Tin, I cannot seem to get some .m4a music files to appear in Music.  I am using Windows 10 64-bit, WMP 12, and WMP Tag Plus 2.5.  I installed DC-Bass Source Mod 1.5.2.0 since it was newer.  I used the Tools in WMP Tag Plus, the removed the files from the Other Meda library, and then restored the deleted library items.  And the songs continue to appear in Other Media.  What might be causing this?

Thank you for this product and your excellent service!

Reply #693
Are these files in the AAC or Apple Lossless format, or perhaps even something else? Do they contain any other streams than audio (video, picture...)?

Are you running the final build of Windows 10? There's native Apple Lossless support there, so no need for WMP Tag Plus or DC-Bass anymore.

Reply #694
I followed Tim's very handy Wiki instructions and turned off the native FLAC support in Windows 10 because it's basically rubbish. Yes it can play the files but they made such a mess of it being able to read standard FLAC tags; no Contributing Artist or Date information and for some reason it shows the artwork as the anything but the "Front Cover" if you have other images embedded in the file I.e."Back Cover" or "Media". I use Mp3tag to edit my file tags and like to include the rear artwork or disc image sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy with Windows 10 and I've even embraced the new Start Menu (was on Classic Shell in 8.1) but they really should have held off on the FLAC native support as it strikes me as being very half-finished. Hopefully the problems may be rectified in a future hot-fix from Microsoft Update? Who knows.

I had to spend part of an evening rebuilding my WMP FLAC library from scratch but I'm far happier with a 3rd party codec pack and Tag Plus v2.6 - once again normal service has been resumed.

Many thanks, Tim 

Reply #695
Are these files in the AAC or Apple Lossless format, or perhaps even something else? Do they contain any other streams than audio (video, picture...)?

Are you running the final build of Windows 10? There's native Apple Lossless support there, so no need for WMP Tag Plus or DC-Bass anymore.

Yes, I am running the final build of Windows 10.  There is a need for something, because I have over 30 songs that appear in the Other Media library, and they are just random songs from various albums.  All the other songs from those albums are in the Music library.  I did a spot check of about 5 songs, and all used the AAC LC codec, MPEG-4 Apple Audio with iTunes info.  There is no video associated with these files, and no other audio or video streams. 

Any other ideas that might be causing this?

Thank you for your help.

Reply #696
I suggest that you try rebuilding WMP's library by following these instructions. First note that resetting the library will make you lose all current play counts, and possibly ratings too. Then, follow these steps:
  •     Reboot the PC.
  •     Press Win+R, type services.msc, and press Enter. In Services, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. If its status is Started, double-click the service and click Stop.
  •     Press Win+R, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft, and press Enter. This folder will open up in Windows Explorer.
  •     In this folder, delete the Media Player folder. If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.
  •     Start WMP, your library should have been reset and will be rebuilt. Check if the issue still occurs.

Reply #697
Hello, i am using WMP Tag Plus since Windows 7.
I have upgraded to Windows 10 and unfortunately
i had the crash issue with my library that contains mostly FLAC files.
I have disable the FLAC native support, but now
the WMP can detect only half of my library.
The half problematic one is shown as unknown artist (all songs are in there).
By the way FLAC are still playing, did not have to add any decoder (such as mFLAC).

MP3Tag on those songs are correct.
So, what to do here?
And secondly, why if i change something in Library with WMP Tag Plus, those meta are not written also at the actual
metadata file (like what MP3Tag plus does)?
I have the options in WMP Library->Automatic Media Information update for files
1)Retrieve additional information from the Internet->Overwrite all media information
2)Rename music files using rip music settings

Reply #698
Hello, i am using WMP Tag Plus since Windows 7.
I have upgraded to Windows 10 and unfortunately
i had the crash issue with my library that contains mostly FLAC files.
I have disable the FLAC native support, but now
the WMP can detect only half of my library.
The half problematic one is shown as unknown artist (all songs are in there).
By the way FLAC are still playing, did not have to add any decoder (such as mFLAC).

MP3Tag on those songs are correct.
So, what to do here?
And secondly, why if i change something in Library with WMP Tag Plus, those meta are not written also at the actual
metadata file (like what MP3Tag plus does)?
I have the options in WMP Library->Automatic Media Information update for files
1)Retrieve additional information from the Internet->Overwrite all media information
2)Rename music files using rip music settings

Seems that the unknown songs are the ones that have no Album / Composer artist as they look over WMP but MP3 tag has the artist column filled!

Reply #699
Do you have the latest version of WMP Tag Plus, version 2.6?

Before disabling the native FLAC tag support, did you remove all FLAC songs from the library first? (as instructed by the FAQ)

You're confusing me by mentioning different tags (Album/Composer/Artist). Which tags are missing in WMP and which tags do you still see in Mp3tag as being filled in?