Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WAV for backup CD? (Read 9573 times) previous topic - next topic

WAV for backup CD?

Hi to all,

I have decided to make backup of my CD collection (100 CD).

Actually I use them for hear my music, but I think that is the time for backup

I have bought an external HD that I connect to my LG Blu Ray Player, it read WAV, MP3, WMA, AAC... but not FLAC.

Do you think that WAV is a good choice or is better to chose another format?

Thanks very much.

Antigen

WAV for backup CD?

Reply #1
If your player can play WMA lossless than this is your best option. Otherwise Flac still a better choice than WAV because it support tags and saves space in the hard drive.

WAV for backup CD?

Reply #2
Otherwise Flac still a better choice than WAV because it support tags and saves space in the hard drive.

As if the Wave container doesn't support tags...

Here is something for your edification, Light-Fire:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Inte...nge_File_Format

WAV for backup CD?

Reply #3
WAV is not a good idea? :-(

My Blu ray don't read FLAC and don't read WMA Lossless :-(

Some solution? The WAV way is not praticable?

WAV for backup CD?

Reply #4
But if you want to backup the whole CD as a WAV and then play in your Blu-Ray player why not just copy the whole CD?

WAV for backup CD?

Reply #5
Because I need space, I have changed house, and now I need more space and 100 CD use a good part of my wardrobe :-(

WAV for backup CD?

Reply #6
Otherwise Flac still a better choice than WAV because it support tags and saves space in the hard drive.

As if the Wave container doesn't support tags...

Here is something for your edification, Light-Fire:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Inte...nge_File_Format

WAV tags aren't much use if the device/software doesn't use them, and most don't.

WAV for backup CD?

Reply #7
It would be more accurate to say that "there is no single WAV tagging standard" than "of course, WAV 'can' be tagged" because the latter should be accompanied by "...but your player probably won't recognise the tags....".
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

WAV for backup CD?

Reply #8
For your current situation and goal the potential WAV tagging issues may not matter so long as you can navigate using the LG controls to the artist and album you want to play.  If you are using a software CD ripper, be sure to organize your music files on the USB external drive as follows:

ARTIST\ALBUM\TRACK NUMBER - TRACK NAME.wav

For example:

The Beatles\Revolver\01 - Taxman.wav

Using the LG controls you would select:

HOME > MUSIC > USB > ARTIST FOLDER > ALBUM FOLDER > TRACK

I can't tell from the owner's manual whether selecting the album folder or the first track will also play the remaining tracks on the album.

If you are planning on using your LG to rip your CDs to the drive, then see pages 53-54 of the manual.  You may not have this model player but most units from the same manufacturer operate in a similar way.  If you want lossless, then that's what you select as the file format and the LG takes care of the rest.  If your LG is connected to your network it may have the ability to download tag information from Gracenote as you play the file.

WAV for backup CD?

Reply #9
Backup to lossless with good compression (WavPack, TAK or Monkey's Audio) and keep a DAP quality AAC or MP3 lossy copy for playback on the Blu-ray player, the combined size should still be smaller than WAV and you'll have a nicely tagged archive and all the flexibility necessary, no?
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100