Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack 4.4 alpha 2 for Windows (Read 169592 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack 4.4 alpha 2 for Windows

Reply #25
Are the WavPack SVN server a public one? If so, where can I find it?
I don't see it mentioned on the website, and the SourceForge project site only list an old CVS repository (18 months since last checkin). https://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=74831

The SVN server is at http://svn.slomosnail.de/wavpack

There, now it's public! 

The code in there should build on Linux and there are project files for MS Visual C++ 2005. It has been reorganized from the released sources with separate folders for the library and the cli modules, however the alpha code is not in there yet, nor are any of the other plugins (and the docs are not up-to-date either). I hope to have some of that done this weekend...

Maybe it's a stupid question, but why the WavPack encoder is not able to add Replay Gain tag directly without using wvgain.exe (just like FLAC does) ?

This would be possible for track gain, but I never figured out a good way to handle album gain this way unless wavpack was used to process a whole album at once (which EAC won't do). Having it a separate program allows easy processing of track and album gain. I'm not sure how FLAC handles album gain...

Reply #26
David, will there be a fix for the 4.31 stereo mode switching bug?
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Reply #27

Maybe it's a stupid question, but why the WavPack encoder is not able to add Replay Gain tag directly without using wvgain.exe (just like FLAC does) ?

This would be possible for track gain, but I never figured out a good way to handle album gain this way unless wavpack was used to process a whole album at once (which EAC won't do). Having it a separate program allows easy processing of track and album gain. I'm not sure how FLAC handles album gain...

Thanks for your answer.
Opus 96 kb/s (Android) / Vorbis -q5 (PC) / WavPack -hhx6m (Archive)

Reply #28
I don't see it mentioned on the website, and the SourceForge project site only list an old CVS repository (18 months since last checkin). https://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=74831

There, now it's public! 
Excellent!
I will keep an eye on it for further updates.

...however the alpha code is not in there yet, nor are any of the other plugins (and the docs are not up-to-date either). I hope to have some of that done this weekend...
Lets hope so, cause I really want to give the alpha 2 a go...

Reply #29

There, now it's public! 
Excellent!
I will keep an eye on it for further updates.

...however the alpha code is not in there yet, nor are any of the other plugins (and the docs are not up-to-date either). I hope to have some of that done this weekend...
Lets hope so, cause I really want to give the alpha 2 a go...

Okay, I have updated SVN with the alpha sources and also fixed a bug that could cause a crash when combining -c and -i and -r on a wav file that has the incorrect number of samples (thanks Marius!). I have also switched to Visual C++ 2005 (from 6.0) and compiled a new Windows version here:

http://www.wavpack.com/wavpack44a3.zip

I had been told that the new Microsoft compilers had better optimization than before. Well, this executable is much bigger and much slower than the previous (at least on my P4) so I'm not impressed yet. Perhaps I need to tweak the settings some... 

David, will there be a fix for the 4.31 stereo mode switching bug?

No, I won't be going back to fix old versions when I'm just a few weeks away from a new, much better release. I would actually trust the current alpha more than a patched 4.31 anyway, but if you want to stick with the old version for now I understand.

I am planning to try your command args on "trumpet" to see if it actually does trigger that bug (at this point I am not sure that the bug actually exists).

Reply #30
Very glad to see WavPack getting better.. =)

Bug: When executing (simple exec, without passing any parameters!) this command file (it's invaid, I know)
Code: [Select]
C:\Bin\WavPack\wavpack.exe %1 -w "CUESHEET=@%~dpn1.cue"

, WavPack 4.44a3 and 4.44a2 crashes.

WavPack 4.43 doesn't crash on it.

Reply #31
... No, I won't be going back to fix old versions when I'm just a few weeks away from a new, much better release. I would actually trust the current alpha more than a patched 4.31 anyway, but if you want to stick with the old version for now I understand. ...

I didn't realize you are just a few weeks away from a new release. Sure I can wait with my music which I want to encode at extremely high quality. Not so much at the moment anyway as I did encode most of my music collection.

Thanks for your great work.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Reply #32
Also I have a strange sample: a 546 MB wav file (CD with Russian and Soviet marches; very LQ, restorated)

title                    size (bytes)
----------------------------------------------
Original                 572 970 764
WavPack 4.44a3 -hhx3     121 386 354
WavPack 4.43   -hx5      116 903 311 (!)
Monkey's Audio -c4000     84 539 008 (!!)

(!) - an old x mode gives such significant improvement in some cases. Could you return it again, and change it's switch, f.e., to -xx ?

(!!) - SUCH a big difference between best mode of WavPack and very high mode of MAC (it also has -c5000 (insane) mode) -- is it normal, or it is unexpected WavPack's behaviuor?

Reply #33
Okay, I have updated SVN with the alpha sources and also fixed a bug that could cause a crash when combining -c and -i and -r on a wav file that has the incorrect number of samples (thanks Marius!).

Thanks!

It might be me, but I can't get rev. 7 to build.
Version 4.32 compiled with a plain "./configure && make", and the README file in SVN have the same instructions:
To build everything, type:
1. ./configure
2. make
3. make install
But there are no configure file in the source, so it fails.
Making autogen.sh executable and run it end with errors as well. Like this:
./configure
-bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
chmod +x autogen.sh
./autogen.sh
./autogen.sh: line 5: libtoolize: command not found
configure.ac: installing `./mkinstalldirs'
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/automake line 8449.
: installing `./config.guess'
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/automake line 8449.
: installing `./config.sub'
aclocal.m4:825: required file `./ltmain.sh' not found
This process creates the needed configure file, but running "./configure && make" errors out like this:
make
Making all in src
source='bits.c' object='libwavpack_la-bits.lo' libtool=yes \
depfile='.deps/libwavpack_la-bits.Plo' tmpdepfile='.deps/libwavpack_la-bits.TPlo' \
depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ../depcomp \
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"wavpack\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"wavpack\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"4.33\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"wavpack\ 4.33\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"bryant@wavpack.com\" -DVERSION_OS=\"Darwin\" -DHIGHFIRST=1 -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_DLFCN_H=1 -DHAVE_LIBM=1  -I. -I.    -g -O2 -c -o libwavpack_la-bits.lo `test -f 'bits.c' || echo './'`bits.c
../libtool: ../libtool: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [libwavpack_la-bits.lo] Error 127
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

You provide two different source code archives for 4.32, so perhaps this is the MS Windows one only?
So do anyone know how to proceed from here?

Reply #34

I only use Replay Gain to avoid clipping so I'd really enjoy an option to add track gain tag during the encoding process (like --replay-gain with FLAC), and also a modification in the Winamp plugin to enable clipping prevention without enabling Replay Gain (like in the Nullsoft Vorbis plugin).

Anyway, thanks for your great work on WavPack, I think I will transcode all my Monkey's Audio files to WavPack when the version 4.4 will be released.
Opus 96 kb/s (Android) / Vorbis -q5 (PC) / WavPack -hhx6m (Archive)

Reply #35
Quick test with my usual sample WAV.

02 - Faith No More - Epic.wav 51.849.884 bytes

AMD Sempron 3400+ (2 GHz) CPU
ASUS K8N-E-Deluxe Motherboard (NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb Chipset)
2 x Corsair CMX512-3200XL (1 GB) PC3200 RAM
2 x Samsung SpinPoint SP2504C 250GB 7200RPM 8MB Buffer SATA HDD into a RAID 1 set
Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 OS

4.31  -hx6m  35.127.920 bytes 880.22 secs
4.31  -hxm   35.131.392 bytes 170.67 secs
4.4a3 -hhx3m 35.134.062 bytes 52.55 secs
4.4a3 -hhxm  35.146.048 bytes 14.09 secs
4.4a3 -hx3m  35.192.996 bytes 35.33 secs
4.4a3 -hxm   35.213.174 bytes 10.72 secs

V4.4a3 -hhx gives better compression and is faster'n -hx3?
Also, v4.31 -hx compresses better'n v4.4a3 -hhx3?
The new version is pretty fast and -hhx3m is very efficient, tho it'd be very cool to be able to achieve v4.31 -hx6 compression ratio w/ it.

Re:http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=422091
rjamorim:"Maybe speed will increase a little if David or someone else works on assembly optimizations, but compression probably already reached its sweet spot. I believe that, from now on, David will focus more on format features and improving software and hardware support."
Is that so really?

Last but surely not least many many thanks for your brilliant work David, appreciated!

EDIT:Grammar + misc imprecisions.
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #36
It's somewhat disappointing to see 4.31 tending to outperform 4.4a in terms of compression - but the differences aren't too great and I'm sure that the resulting benefits are worth it!

Reply #37
NeXT:
I'll try to look into that crashing problem you have there. 

Yes, the old -x mode does often do a little better than the new -x mode, but at a huge speed penalty. I am planning on re-introducing it integrated into the new scheme, probably as simply -x4.

As for your file there, this looks very much like the old "mono" problem that would be addressed with the --optimize-mono switch. Have you tried that?

halb27:
I can see why you might think that a new release was not imminent because the first alpha was so long ago. But, I didn't do a release for the first alpha because I didn't think the only added feature (--optimize-mono) was significant enough to justify a new release. There are certainly enough new now to warrant it, however, so it won't be long. 

krmathis:
Yes, the documentation is for the actual distribution. To build from SVN you will need libtool (I have version 1.5.22) and maybe autoconf. You should be able to easily find that for your distro. Hope that helps; I'm kinda new at this part myself... 

The source packages are definitely not going to be separate anymore.

dutch109:
What I try to do is get basic functionality in there and worry about extra convenience later. Someday I'd like to combine all three command-line programs into one that will do everything (like FLAC), but so far I've been concentrating on adding features and functions that are not available any other way.

It turns out that clipping prevention is not needed with WavPack. In lossless mode you can't get clipping without ReplayGain, and in lossy mode the clipping prevention is automatically done during decode.

DARcode:
Yes, on 4.4a3, -hhx will normally compress better and faster than -hx3, but keep in mind that -hx3 will decode faster than -hhx (and play better on Rockbox). You either pay once up front, or every time you decode. 

I don't think these very fast -x modes will ever quite match the old -x mode in ultimate compression, but I will be putting in a modified version of the original -x mode that should work as well (or slightly better).

What Roberto said is basically correct. I don't think the WavPack format will be able to get any better compression than 4.31 with -x (well, maybe a tiny bit more, or maybe better with certain files). What I have been trying to achieve is getting close to that level of compression without taking forever to get it. And of course there can always be speed improvements through optimization (like MMX).

dv1989:
That is just temporary situation until the old -x mode is re-integrated. The idea is that the usable compression is better.

Reply #38
Thanks David, I appreciate very much all the time you put in the development of your superb audio compressor and answering questions here on HA.

I agree on the "usable" compression take, but please do re-integrate the "old" -x mode, I'm already salivating at the prospect of an MMX/SSEx optimized -hx4 (x4 = v4.31 -x mode) :] !

Finally, is Rockbox the only option for WV on DAP or have you been made aware of further projects?

EDIT: "Usable" comopression and Rockbox parts

Reply #39
NeXT:
I'll try to look into that crashing problem you have there. 

I should mention that that commandline is INVALID -- WavPack should do nothing and exit. So my example is not a PROBLEM, preventing from doing needed job, but just a bug, discovered acidently.

As for your file there, this looks very much like the old "mono" problem that would be addressed with the --optimize-mono switch. Have you tried that?

Oh, I never noticed this command, because it appears only in WavPack 4.4 internal help, but not in any html file (neither site, nor bundled User Manual), or internal help of WavPack 4.31. Yes, it helped, that wav compressed with --optimize-mono -hhx3 has 84 539 008 bytes now, but still diference with Monkey's Audio is 8 667 630 bytes. Waiting for returning old -x mode to test it with --optimize-mono..

Reply #40
I seem to be having problems accessing the sourcecode from the svn server.  Here is the error message I receive:

Error * PROPFIND request failed on '/wavpack' PROPFIND of '/wavpack': Could not read status line: An existing connection was  forcibly closed by the remote host.  (http://svn.slomosnail.de)

I am using tortoisesvn.

Thanks

Reply #41
Finally, is Rockbox the only option for WV on DAP or have you been made aware of further projects?

Unfortunately, no, Rockbox is the only DAP option right now, at least for portables. There is the Roku PhotoBridge which has a third-party plugin available for WavPack:

http://www.rokulabs.com/products/photobridge/index.php

I seem to be having problems accessing the sourcecode from the svn server.  Here is the error message I receive:

Error * PROPFIND request failed on '/wavpack' PROPFIND of '/wavpack': Could not read status line: An existing connection was  forcibly closed by the remote host.  (http://svn.slomosnail.de)

I am using tortoisesvn.

I don't normally use tortoisesvn (I use svn under cygwin) but I do happen to have it installed now and just tried it and it worked fine. Not sure what could be up; I assume you tried it more than once...?

Oh, I never noticed this command, because it appears only in WavPack 4.4 internal help, but not in any html file (neither site, nor bundled User Manual), or internal help of WavPack 4.31. Yes, it helped, that wav compressed with --optimize-mono -hhx3 has 84 539 008 bytes now, but still diference with Monkey's Audio is 8 667 630 bytes. Waiting for returning old -x mode to test it with --optimize-mono..

The reason the command isn't in the manual is because it was only introduced with alpha 1. You might want to look at this thread:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=43866

I probably should have mentioned this in this thread also.

Reply #42

Unfortunately, no, Rockbox is the only DAP option right now, at least for portables. There is the Roku PhotoBridge which has a third-party plugin available for WavPack:

http://www.rokulabs.com/products/photobridge/index.php

But wait!  I know there was an effort to get a wavpack codec supported in TCPMP (in fact I am testing it right now on my Treo 650).  Bryant are you aware of this development?

Support on my Treo is one of the main reasons I will be switching my entire collection over to wavpack: one set of files that can be used for both my portable/Treo (space conscious hence lossy) and my home (space and bandwidth o'plenty).  This new 4.4 release sounds good enough to wait for.

In the mean time I just have to get slimserver to support wavpack (.wv + wvc) including tagging to stream to my SliMP3 and my Roku Soundbridge M1001.  I figure since it can support FLAC then we should be able to get wavpack going.

Reply #43
./autogen.sh
./autogen.sh: line 5: libtoolize: command not found

You must have libtool installed before running autogen.sh

Reply #44
I have tried several times.  Now it is asking for a username and password to access svn.slomosnail.de.

Reply #46
I'm not sure what I did, but SVN seems to be working.

Reply #47
But wait!  I know there was an effort to get a wavpack codec supported in TCPMP (in fact I am testing it right now on my Treo 650).  Bryant are you aware of this development?

Support on my Treo is one of the main reasons I will be switching my entire collection over to wavpack: one set of files that can be used for both my portable/Treo (space conscious hence lossy) and my home (space and bandwidth o'plenty).  This new 4.4 release sounds good enough to wait for.

In the mean time I just have to get slimserver to support wavpack (.wv + wvc) including tagging to stream to my SliMP3 and my Roku Soundbridge M1001.  I figure since it can support FLAC then we should be able to get wavpack going.

I was aware of the TCPMP development, but I seem to forget about it because it's not official and I don't have one of the devices. Thanks for reminding me and I'm glad to hear it's working good!

I also have a Squeezebox and tried to get Slimserver playing WavPack with it. Unfortunately, I didn't know Perl so I got a Perl book and went through that, but then ran out of time for that project. I'll get back around to that one of these days; if anyone wants to jump in before me I'd be happy to help... 

Reply #48
Recompressed a couple of test ablums (Faith No More - The Real Thing and Primus - Frizzle Fry) with 4.4a3 -hx3m and compared to 4.31  -hxm they are only ~200/250 Kb bigger (including full tags w/ RG), so the time save and better DAP support is definitely worth it, bravo David!

EDIT: Grammar.

EDIT2: Mo' gramma.

Reply #49
24-7 Spyz - Gumbo Millennium is just ~220 kb bigger too  .

Any new alphas to play with yet ?
Can't wait to test -hx4 (x4 = old v4.31 -x mode), maybe MMX/SSEx optimized too.