Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 terminates abnormally when Windows restarts (Read 748 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 terminates abnormally when Windows restarts

I'm having a consistent problem with Foobar2000 terminating abnormally if it's running when Windows 10 restarts, for example, to finish installing updates. Does anyone else have this problem, or know of a fix? Thanks.

Re: Foobar2000 terminates abnormally when Windows restarts

Reply #1
Nobody has seen this problem???

Reply #2
I've seen this ever since I started using Foobar over 10 years ago, but I'm not sure I would call it a problem.  All applications are closed when restarting.  Since Foobar hasn't been closed normally by manually exiting it, and is instead forced closed by windows, it's considered an abnormal termination like any other crash.  Personally, I close all running applications before restarting.  Perhaps this is something Peter could "fix" but he would have to distinguish between a restart and an actual crash.  Even if it's possible, I'm not sure it would really be worth the effort.  This is just my take on it.  Maybe someone with more experience can offer a better solution.

Reply #3
Hi,

I always try to close all apps before restarting, just to be safe. Before Windows 10, restarts were always under my control. Now I don't always know if my machine is going to restart unexpectedly, so I don't know when to close Foobar2000. But even when I restart manually, it's easy to miss the fact that Foobar2000 is running if it's minimized, because it isn't in Task Manager's list of running apps and there's no indicator bar under the taskbar shortcut. If I have everything properly configured and working normally, there's an icon in the right-side taskbar; that's the only indication that it's running.

The abnormal termination is a problem for me, because I have over a dozen playlists that I'm always working with and there's no asterisk next to the changed ones, like other apps have, to remind me to save changes to them. After abnormal termination, I have to check all of them to see if changes were lost. That means saving each under a new name and running a file comparison on each pair.

It's been awhile since I was a Windows programmer, but I'm pretty sure all applications get a message that Windows is shutting down and an opportunity to close normally. Windows assumes that applications will handle that message appropriately and Foobar2000 is the only application I leave open that appears to ignore it.

Thank you for your response. At least now I know that I'm not the only one who's seen this happen.

Reply #4
I understand your situation now and didn't mean to make light of it.  You might want to consider using a third party Windows update manager.  I use WAU Manager (Windows Automatic Updates Manager), available for free at https://www.carifred.com/.  It disables automatic Windows updates and gives you complete control over updates, allowing you to update only what you want when you want it..  The only drawback is you have to run it periodically to check for updates.  I created a shortcut for it on my taskbar so it's only a click away.  I've used other software from this developer and have never had an issue.

Reply #5
What is the full list of components that you have?
If you make a clean portable install (default settings, no addons), start it then restart Windows, does it report that it was terminated abnormally?
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.