Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why use lossless? (Read 10635 times) previous topic - next topic

Why use lossless?

Reply #25
Hmmm, I was hoping to read a discussion on Lossless encoding.... 

Why use lossless?

Reply #26
This is a reply to the original post, not the OT discussion.

I can't beleive that no one here has mentioned this yet. Or If they have I've missed it. I hear so much that people rip cds...encode to ape...and then burn back to cdr....to me this is pointless.

Archiving. You save CD-R medias and you can more easily restore the music by reading files instead of ripping audio. Pretty obvious if you don't own the cds.

1. I don't want to keep swapping cds in and out of the cdrom drive. With lossless compressed files I can keep 200 cds or more on my hardrive and play any song I want at any time.

You will need a very big hard drive to store my 700 albums.

5. The backup is the original cd. So if the hardrive fails so what. Especially in raid 5 configuration.

Re-ripping 200 (or 700) cds is a nightmare.
- Possibility of errors while ripping -- even with EAC.
- Possibility of typos in track names - FreeDB/CDDB is not always correct.
- And then you just need to reorganise your music back the way it was.
- You might not own the original cd.
- RAID5 is useless if lightning strikes your home or someone steals your computer.

Why use lossless?

Reply #27
My apologies for bringing this up again, but I couldn't resist.

The lyrics from Suspect's signature are from the song "Big Man With A Gun" from the Downward Spiral from Nine Inch Nails. I only want to mention that the lyrics are not simply offensive because Trent wanted to shock the listener. They are there for a reason, and the song fits within the theme of the album.

I'm not going to explain what this song is about myself, because there's a great essay about the Downward Spiral that already does this:
http://www.smashedupsanity.com/leavinghope...piralessay.html

BTW, great to see some fellow NIN fans on this board.  B)
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Why use lossless?

Reply #28
JohnV,
Sorry to disagree with you on this one.

what have I become
my sweetest friend
everyone I know
goes away in the end
you could have it all
my empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

Why use lossless?

Reply #29
Sorry to disagree with you on this one.

Eeeh?? With what exactly you disagree? I haven't exactly given any opinions (except just a personal note that I would not like to see that kind of text like in _my_ example, but I'm not saying I don't accept it at all, so I don't understand what's there to disagree?), just asked what's the policy, and tried to take into account both "parties".
Juha Laaksonheimo

Why use lossless?

Reply #30
I guess I would have to say that I disagree that this is even a legitimate concern. What do lyrics, even potentially offensive lyrics, have to do with that disgustingly ghoulish website you posted a link to?

Why use lossless?

Reply #31
I guess I would have to say that I disagree that this is even a legitimate concern. What do lyrics, even potentially offensive lyrics, have to do with that disgustingly ghoulish website you posted a link to?

Maybe if you'd actually read my message, you'd get it...
Question is: is anything allowed, if it's regarded as art... I'm not saying that particular website is any form of art, it was just an eaxmple what kind of things can be also covered under the concept of "art".

So, I was asking where's the limit...

And I don't understand how can one/few people decide if something is legitimate concern or not.. People have different concerns and as an admin I'd like to take different concerns into account.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Why use lossless?

Reply #32
Damn JohnV,

I feel like editing your link to that ghastly site.  Now that was truly offensive.

ff123

Why use lossless?

Reply #33
BTW. Did you know there's a new lossless encoder? It's called "La" (short for "lossless audio"). It compresses better than anything else, but is very slow (about as fast as Psytel, so no problem for Roberto  ). It is only a prototype and the format can change. Also there's not yet a Winamp plugin. But, check it out!
Link: http://lossless-audio.com/

PS. a frontend is coming soon...

Why use lossless?

Reply #34
Seriously, though, if people are offended this easily, what are they doing on the internet.  Turn your computer off and cut the cable (or phone cord), turn off the TV and the radio, throw out all your books and CDs (or better yet, burn them!), and just sit there in the dark.

That's what I'm talking about. Why should you even HAVE to worry about what MIGHT offend someone? Personally, I was offended that you posted that link. So what?

Why use lossless?

Reply #35
Damn JohnV,

I feel like editing your link to that ghastly site.  Now that was truly offensive.

ff123

Great, now I'm the bad guy here...

At least you knew, when you clicked it, that it would be offensive... (but you still chose to click it, unlike here, where nobody can choose atm, if they want to see sigs for example.).
Anyway, I'm gonna remove the link and stop this discussion from my part here.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Why use lossless?

Reply #36
Hmmm, I was hoping to read a discussion on Lossless encoding.... 

It is a discussion on lossless encoding. Can't you see it?

Lossless encoding is all around you. 

Why use lossless?

Reply #37
Hmmm, I was hoping to read a discussion on Lossless encoding....  :blink:

It is a discussion on lossless encoding. Can't you see it?

Lossless encoding is all around you. 

lol Nothing gained, nothing lost. That kind of what this thread does for me too, but I passed all my college English classes writing term papers about nothing but music censorship, so I'm a bit interested.

I don't think any lyrics are worthy of censorship, yet there have been cases where this has happened. Usually I attributed these occurances to the stiffs who needed a bit of media coverage before the upcoming election. Stupid really, they don't care either way for three quarters of their term and then suddenly BOOM.

Suspect's sig didn't acutually make it clear they were lyrics, and that is unfortunate since they are first-person. Caught some flac for it too. (note I'm trying to keep this in the lossless discussion)

If I had a complaint it was that it was too long for a sig, I'd rather see the first one or two lines, and then we'd miss out on those pretty words.
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Why use lossless?

Reply #38
Instead of a big man those lyrics/words sound more like a very little man whistling through a graveyard and repeating to himself over and over, "I'm not scared, I'm not scared, I'm not scared."

I seem to have joined this discussion late, but I recall reading an interview in which Trent Reznor said that the song was intended to illustrate just that.  So the lyrics' author apparently agrees with you.

Why use lossless?

Reply #39
Whenever you read a widely visited forum, you should be prepared to meet people that have a very different background, world view, values, thruths and language use than you. Your goal should be to learn to accept and deal with those differences, rather than to try to enforce your view upon the others.

Garf, that is exactly how I feel about the issue.  If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!

On the internet, where all we have is text, one must look through the text at the meaning behind the words.  I fail to understand why someone finds words offensive - it is the meaning behind words that can potentially be offensive.  If I mash all the keys on my keyboard and the word "f**k" happens to randomly come out amidst the jibberish, how could someone find that offensive?  Even if I simply type that word on its own, it's just a word.  "F**k you, feckn_eejit!" is a different story - it's still just words, but when I read the MEANING, the MEANING is offensive!  This is just an example - in most cases it doesn't bother me if someone tells me to f**k off, because anyone who would say that to me is not worth me caring about what they think of me, but I digress...

Anyway, my point is clear.

This is just text, people.

--jeff

Why use lossless?

Reply #40
Words are, of course, the most powerful weapon used by mankind.

Rudyard Kipling, 1865-1936