Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Transcoding WavPack to Mp3?My (Read 8255 times) previous topic - next topic

Transcoding WavPack to Mp3?My

Im curious to know if transcoding from Wavpack(Lossy) to MP3(Lame) will affect the overall quality of the file and also can i transcode to 320Kbps setting for Mp3.

Reply #1
Yes, it will further degrade the audio quality, and it may or may not be audible.

Reply #2
You are converting from a lossless to a lossy format. It will lead to some loss of quality. If you use Lame it will not be significantly audible.

Reply #3
Your first two sentences are completely redundant given the previous reply. As for the last: What qualifies you to make such a decisive, and false, claim? I’m sure there may exist, or somebody could concoct, a WavPack lossy file that would produce audible artefacts when encoded by LAME. No one can claim it to be infallible.

Reply #4
You are converting from a lossless to a lossy format.

From the original post it is clear that the OP is converting a source that is lossy.

Reply #6
greynol, thanks for correcting another of my simple oversights.

Regardless, Likaki32, no one can claim that LAME will never create audible artefacts, even at maximal settings.

With the exception of that claim, all you have been doing is stating the rather obvious, which was already answered by Cynic with the help of a link to the HA wiki.

Reply #7
Even worse. Encoding from one lossy format to other degrades more the quality.

On the contrary, the few results that I have seen posted for lossy-lossy transcodes seems to favor some combinations of two lossy formats vs. same-to-same. In particular, formats like lossy wavpack seem especially suited to transcoding to more conventional lossy formats like mp3.