Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is the Cambridge Audio Evo CD just an overengineered USB CD drive? (Read 1460 times) previous topic - next topic

Is the Cambridge Audio Evo CD just an overengineered USB CD drive?

I can't get it out of my head and my YouTube recommendations. The Evo CD is called a CD transport and it is connected with a 4 pin 2.5 mm TRRRS cable. USB 2.0 has also just 4 pins. So in theory it should be possible to just build a different connector for it. And since audiophiles wouldn't accept to use a simple USB-C cable to connect their expensive gear, they build this USB-TRRRS cable instead.

Would be possible to rewire USB onto a TRRRS cable? Would that have any advantages or disadvantages?

Sadly the device is like $1200 and I can't afford one to take it appart und look what's inside. But I wouldn't be surprised to just find an USB drive combined with some overengineered parts and a nice case.

Re: Is the Cambridge Audio Evo CD just an overengineered USB CD drive?

Reply #1
That's a reasonable guess.    And it's probably a regular CD drive.    It looks like a regular drive out of a desktop computer.   They probably didn't build it from scratch.

It's designed to go with their EVO player (obviously).

Are you thinking about using that CD drive with your computer?   Why?

You can buy a USB CD/DVD drive for $20 USD.   Assuming no "problems", ANY CD drive can accurately read a CD.  ;)

Most USB drives are "portable slim" types, but for more money a full-size drive with a built-in USB adapter and a full-size unit, or you can but a full-size case with a USB adapter, and drive separately.  (It won't be as visually attractive as the EVO drive.)

I've got a portable CD/DVD/Blu-Ray reader/burner in my laptop bag. 

And, I have an "extra" laptop connected to my home theater system via HDMI.

Reply #2
No, I'm only one of those slightly less weird people who bought an Apple USB SuperDrive. (I like it because it is a bit heavy and not so loud.) I just couldn't get this thought about this weird CD drive out of my head. I know you can get those drives very cheap these days.

It is nice to know that Sony and Philips paid a lot attention that reading a CD is very reliable.

Reply #4
Is that still hit-or-miss for secure ripping?

I'm using USB DVD drives for ripping CDs for a while now and when I can believe AccurateRip and XLD they were all accurately ripped.