Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: convert Creative multichannel wave to ac3 (Read 8652 times) previous topic - next topic

convert Creative multichannel wave to ac3

I have recorded a number of files of decoded SQ using the Creative X-fi card's 4 channel analogue input ability.  This creates a 4 channel wave file (32 bit sampling size, 4 channels, sampling rate of 44 khz, bit rate of 5644 kps.)  There is also the option of using up to 96k sampling rate as well.

I want to convert these files to 4 channel (or more) ac3 and burn to cd's.  I might also convert to dvd-a if there is any advantage to do so.  The original material is quad lp's.

I downloaded besweet to do the conversion but it says it does not support the file format.  Can anyone suggest a simple process to get this done?

Thanx

Reply #1
I have recorded a number of files of decoded SQ using the Creative X-fi card's 4 channel analogue input ability.  This creates a 4 channel wave file (32 bit sampling size, 4 channels, sampling rate of 44 khz, bit rate of 5644 kps.)  There is also the option of using up to 96k sampling rate as well.

I want to convert these files to 4 channel (or more) ac3 and burn to cd's.  I might also convert to dvd-a if there is any advantage to do so.  The original material is quad lp's.

I downloaded besweet to do the conversion but it says it does not support the file format.  Can anyone suggest a simple process to get this done?

Thanx

Aften & EncWAVtoAC3 ?
(http://thefrontend.sourceforge.net/EncWAVtoAC3/, http://www.thefrontend.net/EncWAVtoAC3/)

Reply #2

Thanx

Aften & EncWAVtoAC3 ?
(http://thefrontend.sourceforge.net/EncWAVtoAC3/, http://www.thefrontend.net/EncWAVtoAC3/)

Thanx

Aften & EncWAVtoAC3 ?

Reply #3
Thanks for the quick reply.  I did download the suggested EncWave to AC3 and it seemed to work ok though it would not accept my Creative 4-channel that were sampled at 96k.  The 44.1 were OK.  I'm wondering:

Can I use a greater sampling/bit rate when I create the original 4 channel wave files?

And what is the best way to put the resulting AC3 files on a DVD so my player will play them as 4 channel?  On a CD, they only play in stereo.  I prefer ac3 because it will play on my home theatre system in some form.  I can also play DVD-audio on another player so that may also be an option if the quality is  a lot better.  What's best for mastering the ac3 on to disc for playback?

Any suggestions?

Reply #4
Thanks for the quick reply.  I did download the suggested EncWave to AC3 and it seemed to work ok though it would not accept my Creative 4-channel that were sampled at 96k.  The 44.1 were OK.  I'm wondering:

Can I use a greater sampling/bit rate when I create the original 4 channel wave files?

I think AC3 supports samplerates up to 48kHz only.

And what is the best way to put the resulting AC3 files on a DVD so my player will play them as 4 channel?  On a CD, they only play in stereo.  I prefer ac3 because it will play on my home theatre system in some form.  I can also play DVD-audio on another player so that may also be an option if the quality is  a lot better.  What's best for mastering the ac3 on to disc for playback?

Any suggestions?

How do you make CDs? Do you copy these AC3 files to data CD or create audio CD?
Anyway if you want to put AC3 to DVD, I suppose that DVD-video with AC3 sound (at 48kHz, not at 44.1) is the most practical way.

Reply #5

I think AC3 supports samplerates up to 48kHz only.

Any suggestions?

How do you make CDs? Do you copy these AC3 files to data CD or create audio CD?
Anyway if you want to put AC3 to DVD, I suppose that DVD-video with AC3 sound (at 48kHz, not at 44.1) is the most practical way.

I created an audio cd.  I don't think ac3 files would be recognized as red book audio by the player.  I will try authoring a dvd with blank video and my ac3 file to create an mpeg dvd.  Thanks again.

Reply #6
I created an audio cd. I don't think ac3 files would be recognized as red book audio by the player.
  Correct!  An "audio cd" is uncompressed 44.1khz, 16-bit, stereo PCM.  There is a way to burn an AC3 file onto a CD, so that it will play on some DVD players, but I've never tried it.

Reply #7
I have recorded a number of files of decoded SQ...
I assume that these are from SQ encoded records/tapes?  If not, if you are just using the SQ decoder as a surround effect, some of the Dolby Pro Logic II soundfield settings on your home-theatre receiver might do a better job.  The "matrix" setting might be similar to SQ.

I want to convert these files to 4 channel (or more)...
  Again, if you want more than 4 channels... If you are not too worried about exactly reproducing the original 4-channel SQ... you should try the Pro Logic options. 

On the other hand, if you want to exactly preserve the decoded SQ, or if you want full mixing & panning control of each channel, there's no substitute for discrete digital surround (like AC3).

Another option would be to get a 5.1 channel analog-to-digital converter and hook it up (4 channels only) between your SQ decoder and your reciever.  (I'm assuming that you have an SQ decoder, and that your reciever does not already have the analog surround-sound inputs.)