Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is it possible to take «24 bit/ 96 kHz» out from a (Read 3209 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it possible to take «24 bit/ 96 kHz» out from a

Dear Brothers,

I’d like to take Digital Sound Stream out from my «DELL Inspiron 9100» notebook via SPDIF digital output. I have some music in «24 bit/ 96 kHz» format, so I’d like to take it out without any possible lossy actions via SPDIF output (to decode it in an external DAC).

First of all I’ve discovered that SPDIF output represented on the back side of my «DELL» belongs to «Sigma Tell STAC 9750 AC97» adaptor. I’ve found «SigmaTell» documentation and it is likely that SPDIF output is FREE from any possible digital conversion inside the «SigmaTell» because it doesn’t go through its DAC or smth:

Now I must choose one of the Windows based drivers:

So, there are some questions I have to solve:

1 - «Windows Mixer Driver» will apply some digital recalculation regarding to the Mixer. Will it change my «24 bit/ 96 kHz» data stream format in a 16/48 or in any other digital format? Is there a chance to loose a sound quality on this stage?

2 - Which Windows based driver would reflect my needs best?

3 – Is there a chance to get the SPDIF digital output format 16/48 (or any other format) instead of original «24 bit/ 96 kHz» because of «Sigma Tell» DAC properties (it is only 20 bit / 48 kHz)?

4 – Is there a chance to get the SPDIF digital output format 16/48 (or any other format) instead of original «24 bit/ 96 kHz» because of any other reason I can’t see?

I appreciate your help very much,
Nolik.

Reply #1
First of all I’ve discovered that SPDIF output represented on the back side of my «DELL» belongs to «Sigma Tell STAC 9750 AC97» adaptor. I’ve found «SigmaTell» documentation and it is likely that SPDIF output is FREE from any possible digital conversion inside the «SigmaTell» because it doesn’t go through its DAC or smth: (...)

But this beautiful «foobar2000  Kernell» driver doesn’t work with onboard SoundCard.
If the codec is of AC97 type, then it probably expects 16 bit / 48 kHz data type. This is the possible source of the problem with KS, but it's also possible that drivers simply do not support KS.

1 - «Windows Mixer Driver» will apply some digital recalculation regarding to the Mixer. Will it change my «24 bit/ 96 kHz» data stream format in a 16/48 or in any other digital format? Is there a chance to loose a sound quality on this stage?
Yes and yes (most probably).

2 - Which Windows based driver would reflect my needs best?
You can try KS or ASIO (using ASIO4All), but no guarantees one of them will work. Other than those, you should probably try both DirectSound and WaveOut.

3 – Is there a chance to get the SPDIF digital output format 16/48 (or any other format) instead of original «24 bit/ 96 kHz» because of «Sigma Tell» DAC properties (it is only 20 bit / 48 kHz)?
Yes, there is. And it's high.

4 – Is there a chance to get the SPDIF digital output format 16/48 (or any other format) instead of original «24 bit/ 96 kHz» because of any other reason I can’t see?
The chip may be unsuited to support 96 kHz. The drivers may be so, too.

I'm afraid there is only a thin chance to use your laptop's SPDIF without problems with 24/96 content. You would have to contact Dell's technical support and find someone who actually knows anything about your laptop and its sound chip.

I'm afraid that your best bet would be a purchase of a decent USB or FireWire external soundcard if you want to use your laptop as a sound source. 

Reply #2
Hi,

I personally have had problems with asio5all, using foobar2k.  I have an m aduio delta 410.  This doesn't mean it won't work, I don't know if the onboard soundcard would even support asio.  If you do use a usb or firewire card there should not be much, if any, signal loss or degredation.
You can polish a piece of crap until it shines like the sun, but it's still a piece of crap.

Reply #3
I'm afraid that your best bet would be a purchase of a decent USB or FireWire external soundcard if you want to use your laptop as a sound source. 

Dear TMT,

Thank you for the detailed description. It’s very informative.
I appreciate if you could recommend me a USB, or even better FireWire sound card to cover my needs.

Thanks.

Reply #4
Unfortunately, I have no experience with external sound interfaces. But try something from M-Audio or Audiotrak, they make good sound cards.

Reply #5
I'm using an emagic emi 2|6 and it works great thru my usb even at 24/96. I just use the asio output in foobar, matching the bit depth and the the sampling frequency with the card, without this it won't work.