Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Re: Personal listening test at 48 kbps: Opus, Exhale, HE-AAC (Read 3565 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Personal listening t...

Re: Personal listening test at 48 kbps: Opus, Exhale, HE-AAC

How good Opus 1.3.1-26 is? Can you send me a build, I want to compare to opus 1.3.1-78 latest release appveyor Rillian opustools and opusrug (I'm the one who edited the code).

But what I found at a bit low bitrate and low clipping and not so dynamics is what usually encoders performs best, especially mine about for speech mode max 98 kbps VBR usually. The problem is that I don't have equipment to test my encoder.

Did you or someone some years ago done a test with GXLAME? Based to my hearing, at less than 166 kbps it has severe artifacts, but I don't know if someone did a transparency test.

That would be interesting to include OPUSRUG in a listening test or to do only with some problematic samples for example the one Exhale 1.0.8 can't get right, mainly prioritizing focusing to clipping and dynamic. To test the code,I have a discord but they aren't audio enthusiast (AV1 video codec enthusiast) and while I can use opusdemo on the linux i can't compile the whole program, someone used mabs on windows to did it, so maybe the encoder can be
SLOW, but there is the source code (in github with the arrow you can download whatever master and edit the celtencoder.c copying mine, but I don't really know if it's right.

Re: Re: Personal listening test at 48 kbps: Opus, Exhale, HE-AAC

Reply #1
Thanks for the good test.

Reply #2
DID you tried 1.3.1 stock? do you have a link?

But anyway I could say opus 1.3.1-4 performs well with summer songs and that doesn't mean anything, you should used the 1.3.1 or the 1.3.1-78
reference
there is a 1.3.1-70 that gives same size but I'd avoid because I don't want to waste time checking file size, so the rillian opusenc isn't bad the 1.3.1-78.
I used at 46 kbps but the sound is frightful scary, anyway at that bitrate if you listen to clipping and summer songs it can be good but I don't think you can reach at 96 kbps the same confidence interval as 1.3.1 stock.

Reply #3
Maybe anybody don't want to test because i should do i, because of too people, or because there are audio codec developers. But anyway I suggested.

Reply #4
Thanks..
How to find people to test my encoder? Should I care? It doesn't really solve the problem with latin music that anyone of you found.

Reply #5
RP have you a link of your test with 1.3.1 stock at 96 kbps or other bitrates?

Reply #6
A Curiosity have you done tests with 1.3.1 release? Can I have a link, please?

cause this build, it sounds like listening on a 2 usd euros chines earphones that build
try opusrug or if you already tested 1.3.1 and you like testing 46 kbps, download appveyor rillian 1.3.1-78, it sounds like i said before a bit scary the vibrato on female singing.
1.3.1-76 is experimental, 1.3.1-70 has less much fixes but maybe has same file size.
A mystery is why you tested 1.3.1-26 when people and opus developers are way up less than the 64 or maybe 17 they don't bother much
(source the non fixed dll).

Reply #7
it's deprecated on the opustools appveyor, 6 months have passed.
But anyway thanks for the test.
and really poorly with classical music