Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Transcoding DTSHD Master 7.1 (Read 3084 times) previous topic - next topic

Transcoding DTSHD Master 7.1

On Nework DLNA playback, my Core i5 CPU maxes out to 100% and the playback is very slow/jerky/stops and audio is extremely intermittent.
Is there anyway this can be eradicated? OR may be improved to watchable?
Regards
Setup: DVD/Blue Ray ripped MKV & stored in HD connected to Laptop. Video sent via Serviio media server to Panasonic BDT110 (using Roku-non 4kTV profile-displaying on Samsung UE55JU7000 TV.
Good Music on 2-Channel
Fight the "loudness" war.
William

Re: Transcoding DTSHD Master 7.1

Reply #1
I would suggest using FFmpeg to transcode this to FLAC. Both are lossless, but FLAC decodes a lot faster.

Reply #2
I would suggest using FFmpeg to transcode this to FLAC. Both are lossless, but FLAC decodes a lot faster.

Serviio already transcodes it to DD 5.1 by FFmg. As Panasonic is the weak link I will be using Fire TV Cube | Hands free with Alexa, 4K Ultra HD streaming media player. I hope I will be able to playback with all the audio files available on the Blue ray rip.
Would that be right?
Good Music on 2-Channel
Fight the "loudness" war.
William

Reply #3
Possibly. Just know that transcoding in real time will always slow things down, and will be at the mercy of the CPU of whatever you're streaming it from.

Reply #4
Are you just using the TV speakers? There is no hardware DTS-HD decoder in your chain (like an AVR or the BD player)? Do you really need to transcode? Even if there isn't a hardware DTS-HD decoder, your BD player or even TV might have a legacy DTS decoder, that should be able to decode the "core" audio.

I usually stream files just fine, including blu-ray rips over my WLAN without issue, it's a lot less taxing especially for a laptop CPU (which, btw?) and most 802.11ac routers should be able to handle it without issue.

Also the audio transcoding is probably not what is taxing the CPU the most, but the video.