Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mono Sources Converted To Stereo (Read 3830 times) previous topic - next topic

Mono Sources Converted To Stereo

In short, I would like MPC to do what every other encoder I know of does - use the same number of channels as the source.

By default, unless you force it not to, MPC encodes mono as stereo.  Fortunately, the bitrate drops to what you would expect for mono material and I wasn't able to ABX a sample.  However, it does create 2 distinct channels and differences in the channels (as opposed to simply creating 1 channel and telling the decoder to play it on each side), so it is possible that a sample exists that would cause problems.

Tested standard and insane, with and without ms 15.  Unfortunately, the wonderfully obscure command to force mono (--dmx m or --dmx -1) gives the following message in both the 15t and 14 versions:  ERROR: unknown option '--dmx' !
"All I ask is that composers wash out their ears before they sit down to compose." - Morton Feldman