Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bit-perfect output on Android? (Read 10994 times) previous topic - next topic

Bit-perfect output on Android?

Is there an app or a way to output bit-perfect audio to an Android phone's DAC, similar to how Foobar can output directly to a DAC using WASAPI on Windows?

Re: Bit-perfect output on Android?

Reply #1
no

Reply #3
This is also worthy of a quick read.

Reply #4
Alright, so the conclusion is that there is still no way to output directly to HAL or ALSA, bypassing AudioFlinger?

Reply #5
Alright, so the conclusion is that there is still no way to output directly to HAL or ALSA, bypassing AudioFlinger?

I think that USB Audio Player Pro does, but it outputs digital, via OTG, to an external DAC, so it probably answers the wrong question
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #6
Actually, it is possible to use ALSA directly, but your phone needs to be rooted.

AOSP does come with tinyalsa and a command line utility called tinyplay can be built from those sources. I only have experience with Nexus devices and Google does not package tinyplay into the stock ROM by default.

It is also possible to build "full-blown" ALSA for Android and I have successfully used aplay to play wav files directly through ALSA (to measure the headphone output of the Qualcomm WCD9320 DAC/amp used in my Nexus 5), thereby bypassing the Android media engine altogether.