Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problem sample for MPC 1.14b standard (Read 6440 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem sample for MPC 1.14b standard

Hi, I have found a sample which does not sound transparent with the standard setting. "Angelic - Can't Keep Me Silent (Julian D'or mix)" from the "Eye Trance 03" trance sampler. The artifact occurs during the breakdown at ca 2:25 mins into the track. The dominant sharp synthy instrument sounds more noisy than in the original. Other words describing the artifact would be rough or coarse sounding. ABX results 8/8 (pretty easy imho). This sample also makes LAME 3.90.2 APS and OGG -q 6 stumble, allthough in a different fashion. This sound is of course purely synthetic but not uncommon in trance music.

Encoder version: 1.14 beta
Decoder version:  1.93h
Settings: --standard --xlevel
Avg bitrate: 201.3 kbps
A lossless clip can be found here. (14 seconds, 1.5MB)

edit: The artifact is heard during seconds 0.5 - 2.2 and 7.5 - 9.3.

Reply #1
Shit! I have problems, to depack your FLAC. I downloaded Speek´s flac-frontend, the flac-file and the codec. Put the codec into the directory, where the frontend is. And tried to decode the "angelic_silent_short" - but the dos-windows just opens for the part of a second. - What am I doing wrong?
My used codecs and settings:
FLAC V1.1.2 -4 / APE V3.99 Update 4 -high / MPC V1.15v --q 5 / LAME V3.97b2 -V2 --vbr-new / OGG aoTuV V4.51 Lancer -q5

Reply #2
Ok, I managed to depack it. Seems, that the frontend does not run properly on my system.

But now to the artifact. Well, I encoded the sample in all quality-steps (--q5, q6, q7, q8), but couldn´t hear any differences to the original. But, maybe my equipment or my ears are too bad. It would also be helpful, if you would give the time-stamp in the sample (in seconds from beginning), where the artifact appears. "2:25 Mins." isn´t very helpful, when the sample itself is only 14 seconds long ....
My used codecs and settings:
FLAC V1.1.2 -4 / APE V3.99 Update 4 -high / MPC V1.15v --q 5 / LAME V3.97b2 -V2 --vbr-new / OGG aoTuV V4.51 Lancer -q5

Reply #3
Confirming the artifact... listening to the first three seconds, it sounds like extra fuzz has been added to the synth.

Using mppenc v1.14, mppdec v1.93j (both at defaults):

First ABX: 9/16, simply listening for a good spot on the sample to ABX
Second ABX: 12/16, would have been higher if my finger hadn't slipped on the "next trial" button a few times

with mppenc --xtreme, I abx'd 9/16 twice, so I can make no conclusions about that.

Reply #4
The artifact is heard during seconds 0.5 - 2.2 and 7.5 - 9.3. Sorry for not being more accurate in my first post. The 2:25 mins referr to the original song. Btw, I used flacdrop to encode the wav. I will test --xtreme or higher when I have more time.

Reply #5
Ya, 5/5 in ABA.

edit:
hmm, 5/5 also with xtreme with first try. Probability of guessing 5/5 in ABA is 0.4%
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #6
Update:
xtreme xlevel -- ABX 10/10 p < 0.1%
insane xlevel -- ABX 21/32 p = 5.5%

I reached 15/19 on the insane sample where p = 1.0%, but then I pretty much lost it. Fatigue would be my excuse.  Same sample for over a hundred times in 15 minutes. (Yes, I do those abx tests quick and dirty)

edit: just for kicks I also tried the old 1.7.9c encoder. Sounds similar, I would even say worse than the current 1.14 beta (without xlevel, but no clipping anyway). Of course I should abx those as well, but I'm fed up with this sample atm.

Reply #7
Update:
xtreme xlevel -- ABX 10/10 p < 0.1%
insane xlevel -- ABX 21/32 p = 5.5%

I reached 15/19 on the insane sample where p = 1.0%, but then I pretty much lost it. Fatigue would be my excuse.  Same sample for over a hundred times in 15 minutes. (Yes, I do those abx tests quick and dirty)

edit: just for kicks I also tried the old 1.7.9c encoder. Sounds similar, I would even say worse than the current 1.14 beta (without xlevel, but no clipping anyway). Of course I should abx those as well, but I'm fed up with this sample atm.

Do you also tried the 1.93 encoder? Is this encoder better or worse than 1.14?
Diocletian

Time Travel Agency
Book a journey to the Diocletian Palace. Not today!

Reply #8
1.11b, 1.14, and 1.93j all produce ABXable samples
at --insane (10/10). Transparency is achieved halfway between --quality 7 and --quality 8 with all encoded
samples. I only tested seconds 3.7-4.2 and didn't listen
to the whole sample.
And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the ***** of an alien

Reply #9
1 of  1, p = 0.500
  2 of  2, p = 0.250
  3 of  3, p = 0.125
  4 of  4, p = 0.063
  4 of  5, p = 0.188
  5 of  6, p = 0.109
  6 of  7, p = 0.063
  7 of  8, p = 0.035
  7 of  9, p = 0.090
  8 of  10, p = 0.055

mpcenc 1.14 / standard

But i can't explain what the difference is. it sound less accurate.

Reply #10
The artifact is heard during seconds 0.5 - 2.2

Aaaah, that helped a lot. 11/12 (1.14, stnrd)
Btw, is anyone reporting these samples to Frank or are we testing them just for fun?

Reply #11
The artifact is heard during seconds 0.5 - 2.2

Aaaah, that helped a lot. 11/12 (1.14, stnrd)
Btw, is anyone reporting these samples to Frank or are we testing them just for fun?

I've emailed Frank.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #12
I spent a little more time, this time I picked seconds 0.4 - 0.8 and tested with ABC/HR at --braindead. 1.11b, 1.14, and 1.93j are all ABXable (10/10). At --quality 8.5 I could not distinguish between the original and the sample encoded by 1.11b at all. With 1.14 and 1.93j I scored 7/10... This is my limit.

I was curious to see how both SV7 encoders handle the part I tested. mppenc 1.11 goes as high as 666.1 kbps for the short segment slightly after 0.5 seconds. mppenc 1.14 allocates 655.4 kb (both at --quality 8.5). What I can hear in all samples at --quality 8 and below is a change of amplitude in the right channel. Right when the synth hit plays, there's a change in modulation and a very slight change in amplitude. At --quality 8.5 it's extremely hard to notice, especially with 1.11b.

Headphones: Sennheiser HD495. Card: Diamond Monster MX400.

I hope Frank can learn something from this report.
And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the ***** of an alien