Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tag field for named set of tracks (Read 862 times) previous topic - next topic

Tag field for named set of tracks

Does anybody use a tag field for a named set of tracks within a disc (substantially smaller group than a disc, maybe 4-10 tracks)?

For example: Rod Stewart - Atlantic Crossing consists of "Fast Half" and "Slow Half"
Or 2013 remaster of ABBA - Ring Ring has sections "Bonus Tracks" and "Extra Bonus Tracks - Early Versions"

I used the field "Grouping" for this, without researching its meaning within the Apple system, where it apparently is used for Genre or a classical work. Recently there was controversy around this tag, and I must change it to something else.

In Foobar I append Grouping after the album name to visually divide long list of tracks, as found on remasters or 2-on-1 composite reissues.

Re: Tag field for named set of tracks

Reply #1
If you're using ID3v2.4, I'd go with "SET SUBTITLE" (in fb2k) or "SETSUBTITLE" (in Mp3tag)

It's mapped to the TSST ID3v2.4 frame which is, according to the spec, intended for the subtitle of the part of a set this track belongs to.

Re: Tag field for named set of tracks

Reply #2
Thanks. I shall use "set subtitle". I don't use ID3v2 at all, but I thought it was good idea to align with existing conventions for field names to avoid my tags renamed in a new player.