Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Confusion with tags on Opus converted library? (Read 1288 times) previous topic - next topic

Confusion with tags on Opus converted library?

I've recently been reorganising my music collection and have decided to use EAC to rip my CDs to FLAC for my PC and then transcode a playlist from my library to Opus to play from my phone. I chose foobar as my converter but I don't understand what's going on with the tags on the converted file. All my FLACs are tagged with mp3tag but opening up a foobar converted file shows no tag information whatsoever, however media players still recognise everything. Does foobar use a different type of tagging system or am I missing something?

Re: Confusion with tags on Opus converted library?

Reply #1
I'm left a bit confused. Where exactly aren't the converted Opus file tags visible? foobar2000 uses so called Vorbis comments with Opus files, as is the standard with Ogg container.

Reply #2
The tags show up on my phone's music player but when I try to edit the tag (either through the media player or mp3tag) there's no data showing.

If I'm right FLAC files also use Vorbis Comments and my FLACs are working perfectly fine.

Reply #3
And when you open a converted Opus file in foobar and right-click > Properties, the tags are present?

Did you tick 'Transfer metadata (tags)' in the foobar converter? (under 'Other')

Your phone might be showing cached info or something(?). Perhaps you could attach a sample Opus file here for someone to take a look at...

Reply #4
I might've found the cause. The tags are recognised perfectly as a .opus file but when switching to .ogg (necessary for my phone) I get the problem. Foobar has no problems with either container but other programs can't cope with Opus encoded media with a .ogg extension it seems.