Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What's the problem with double-blind testing? (Read 248817 times) previous topic - next topic

What's the problem with double-blind testing?

Reply #150
ABX is about whether you can notice the difference between two similar stimuli. It does not prove if two stimuli are the same. An ABX test determines the probability that you actually can make out the difference between the two. However, if the same ABX test is being done by a larger user group, certain assumptions can be made. It's all about statistics.

That's obviously a true statement, but I am not sure why this was posted as a reply to my comment. Unless you're trying to say that one can increase the probability of something being different by having an arbitrarily large group take part in the test, which is also true but also irrelevant.

Anyway, I think both "camps" are applying common sense, and the only difference is what their common sense tells them

No, one camp uses scientific evidence within a certain, small range of uncertainty while the other camp is zealous about it's unfounded belief.

Actually it is literally true that both camps (here, I am not talking about magazine editors lying through their teeth for instance) are in fact using their common sense, and it is just that it's telling them different things. I do agree that it's much more reasonable to assume that results obtained by using samples of (for instance) 20s apply also to general music listening than not to, but that's because my commons sense tells me so (ie because I can "watch" myself listening to music and it seems that no integration occurs over such timescales, while also I've observed myself get fooled  by my hearing often enough to not trust subtle results indicating counterintuitive effects--the results would have to be compelling).

Anyway, you can't actually prove it except by induction, ie performing the experiments and showing that the same conclusion is reached. Given that I consider this generalisability to be obviously true, I won't bother  Or you could show that no mechanism exists that would result in long-term listening revealing features that cannot be noticed on short-term listening, but I don't think such an approach would work in this type of psychoacoustical research.

All I am saying is that in this particular case, it seems that Mark DeB is not doing this to defend his irrational beliefs but rather seems to actually be wondering about it. And if you think this is being stupid, that's fine, but I don't. I disagree with what he believes and think it's obviously incorrect, but that's all.

Well, thank you for the vote of confidence, but what exactly is it that you take me to believe that you disagree with, or think is obviously incorrect?  I am saying that for all I know, those stimuli could have different causal properties, of a certain kind, that I care about.  Are you saying that the quick-switch ABX results furnish enough information to rule that out?  On what basis?  Yes, of course this is a question of science, or induction.  But you seem to be saying that you believe this because it is "reasonable," or "common sense," or on the basis of introspection perhaps, or "obviously true," none of which is scientific.

I think that you have put your finger on it when you say that it would have to be proved that "no mechanism exists."  What is more, there would have to be some theory of experiences and what it is for them to "reveal features," and of the causal conditions for such experiences.

I still think that, knowing what I know about how I did on the ABX test, it's an open question whether those signals could cause different types of experiences in me, perhaps in other settings such as longer-term listening.  The general tenor of the replies seems to have been that it is not an open question and that I should conclude that those signals could not do so.  But I think it would be rash to conclude that.  And no one here has stated any real scientific basis why that conclusion should follow.  Why, then, do you think I am "obviously incorrect" in not making said inference?

Reply #151
I also would not call your position truly sceptic, rather the opposite. You seem to just resort to a ultrasceptic position to sustain a non-sceptic belief (possibly induced by sighted comparison).

I agree. Mark DeB, you're being "skeptical" about something, but completely credulous about something else for which there's no evidence (nor any clear physical or physiological mechanism through which it could credibly happen). Furthermore, you're inventing "maybes" to support your hypothesis. "Maybe there's something that no one can detect, but long-term will make you feel different." Well do you have any ideas as to what it might be? Put forward something clear so it can be tested. Anything that can be felt by your senses (and not invented by the brain), can be detected. Your body is full of detectors!

As for the long-term feeling stuff, it can also be ABX'ed as others already said. Just takes more time, but the procedure is the same. You just listen blindly for a long time, and if you believe it's the touchy-feely version, mark it on your chart. Rinse and repeat. What's the problem there?

Reply #152
Right, no perceivable difference, but that isn't the same as no difference between perceptions.  If you listen to a one-minute stretch of music, and then a similar one-minute stretch, you might very well perceive different things, but not be able to detect and/or report this reliably because you  can't compare them.  And there is no need to assume that experience implies the ability to apply a label (such as "experienced effect").

Ok, nice, let me summarize, then:

Subject S declares:

• no perceivable A/B difference
  • no perceivable side effect of A
  • no perceivable side effect of B

Why in hell should S then care about "hidden differences" in any scenario, where 1), 2), and 3) are true and are expected to stay true*. It is totally irrelevant wether real differences exist, for example if A has been low passed at 100000 Hz and B has been low passed at 100001 Hz. So why should S care?

* Else a long term double blind A/B could give a definitive conclusion for S as it has been repeated here already many times. S would note down his feelings and after enough data has been collected, it would be correlated against the sequence of As and Bs as they actually went along with S. The result will either be noise or show a degree of significance.

The problem is perfectly decidable. The answer is either there is a detectable difference for S or there is none. The question is just how far you are personally willing to go.

Reply #153
Why are you insisting that we needlessly constrain ABX to a quick-switch situation?

I'm not.  But will a person always be able to report, reliably, whether two longer-term experiences were the same or different in character?  The worry is that certain experiences could be different but that we are not very good at detecting or reporting that.

Reply #154
Right, no perceivable difference, but that isn't the same as no difference between perceptions.  If you listen to a one-minute stretch of music, and then a similar one-minute stretch, you might very well perceive different things, but not be able to detect and/or report this reliably because you  can't compare them.  And there is no need to assume that experience implies the ability to apply a label (such as "experienced effect").

Ok, nice, let me summarize, then:

Subject S declares:

• no perceivable A/B difference
  • no perceivable side effect of A
  • no perceivable side effect of B

Why in hell should S then care about "hidden differences" in any scenario, where 1), 2), and 3) are true and are expected to stay true (else a long term ABX could give a definitive conclusion for S as it has been repeated here already many times). It is totally irrelevant wether real differences exist, for example if A has been low passed at 100000 Hz and B has been low passed at 100001 Hz. So why should S care?

Because he doesn't assume that the only differences between experiences that matter are ones he is able to monitor and report on. 

Reply #155
Well, thank you for the vote of confidence, but what exactly is it that you take me to believe that you disagree with, or think is obviously incorrect?

I think that your central point is that results from ABX-type tests with short pieces of music do not necessarily hold for long-term listening. In terms of logic this is true, and also if I just look at the "experiments" themselves, they literally say nothing about long-term listening, unless I make some assumptions about the "listening mechanism" in our heads. Apparently, given your assumptions about this mechanism, they do not, but according to mine they do.

I am saying that for all I know, those stimuli could have different causal properties, of a certain kind, that I care about.  Are you saying that the quick-switch ABX results furnish enough information to rule that out?  On what basis?  Yes, of course this is a question of science, or induction.  But you seem to be saying that you believe this because it is "reasonable," or "common sense," or on the basis of introspection perhaps, or "obviously true," none of which is scientific.

I think that you have put your finger on it when you say that it would have to be proved that "no mechanism exists."  What is more, there would have to be some theory of experiences and what it is for them to "reveal features," and of the causal conditions for such experiences.

Right, like if I claim that the fact that the sun has risen from the east for millenia (let's just assume this) does not prove that it will tomorrow. It really doesn't. Coupled with the usual models of what is actually happening, though, and given that these models are in accord with other pieces of information (falling rocks, observed motion of other lights in the sky under the assumption they're planets etc), it's hard to not conclude that it will.

Here, neither side has the equivalent model (yes a lot is known but nothing as simple, general, accurate and reliable), so it's less certain.

I still think that, knowing what I know about how I did on the ABX test, it's an open question whether those signals could cause different types of experiences in me, perhaps in other settings such as longer-term listening.  The general tenor of the replies seems to have been that it is not an open question and that I should conclude that those signals could not do so.  But I think it would be rash to conclude that.  And no one here has stated any real scientific basis why that conclusion should follow.  Why, then, do you think I am "obviously incorrect" in not making said inference?

Technically it is. I, however, am not aware of a single piece of evidence to support your thesis, nor any mechanism to suggest so. Obviously (again  ), this does not disprove it, but...

The "obviously" should probably have been quoted, as I meant it as shorthand for "in light of my mental model of the world, it would be really strange if it was not true that".

I don't think this kind of belief has the same status as believing the earth is flat, but I still would be quite surprised if it was true (as I said, lack of evidence, no personal experience indicating it etc).

Reply #156
Because he doesn't assume that the only differences between experiences that matter are ones he is able to monitor and report on.

If there is any relevant causal influence it will leave a trace. And that trace can be correlated to the actual succession of A and B wether S notes this information consciously or "dumps" it unconsciously (when reporting its emotional state). If you are talking about causal influences that are even smaller than that, well, that's usually considered as noise. Confusing noise with relevant information will actually degrade any degree of knowledge S can obtain about his world.

Reply #158
I also would not call your position truly sceptic, rather the opposite. You seem to just resort to a ultrasceptic position to sustain a non-sceptic belief (possibly induced by sighted comparison).

I agree. Mark DeB, you're being "skeptical" about something, but completely credulous about something else for which there's no evidence (nor any clear physical or physiological mechanism through which it could credibly happen). Furthermore, you're inventing "maybes" to support your hypothesis. "Maybe there's something that no one can detect, but long-term will make you feel different." Well do you have any ideas as to what it might be? Put forward something clear so it can be tested. Anything that can be felt by your senses (and not invented by the brain), can be detected. Your body is full of detectors!

As for the long-term feeling stuff, it can also be ABX'ed as others already said. Just takes more time, but the procedure is the same. You just listen blindly for a long time, and if you believe it's the touchy-feely version, mark it on your chart. Rinse and repeat. What's the problem there?

How is it credulous to resist making an inference that is not, as far as anyone has established here, warranted?

About long-term, my question is the same: if you can't tell a difference between the two signals, does it follow that they are not causing you to have different experiences (i.e., that you are not perceiving different things in them)?

Reply #159
Well, thank you for the vote of confidence, but what exactly is it that you take me to believe that you disagree with, or think is obviously incorrect?  I am saying that for all I know, those stimuli could have different causal properties, of a certain kind, that I care about.  Are you saying that the quick-switch ABX results furnish enough information to rule that out?  On what basis?  Yes, of course this is a question of science, or induction.  But you seem to be saying that you believe this because it is "reasonable," or "common sense," or on the basis of introspection perhaps, or "obviously true," none of which is scientific.

I just noticed this. To be clear: by "common sense", I do not mean the common sense of the woman in the street, but the set of beliefs that one who has looked at the evidence is forced to adopt (opening myself up to the question "what evidence etc"  ). For example, I am a theoretical physicist, and have spent most of my life studying the results of experiments in regimes where quantum mechanics is important. Well, my predecessors have been doing that for a long time, and trying to use their then-current "common sense", ie classical physics, didn't work. So they adapted it and now "common sense" tells me that QM will be needed in such and such a situation. Another way to put it is that either those results make no sense (can't be fitted into some sort of coherent whole), or QM, aspects of which are weird from an everyday point of view, is true. Thus, "common sense"... Same for "reasonable"

Basically, I am extrapolating known results in the "simplest" way, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, and calling this process "common sense" or "reasonable".

Probably clear as mud, but... And no I'm not claiming that the subject under discussion is as clear cut as what I describe above.

Reply #160
About long-term, my question is the same: if you can't tell a difference between the two signals, does it follow that they are not causing you to have different experiences (i.e., that you are not perceiving different things in them)?

Your term of "can't tell a difference" is limited to direct, short-term comparison. My term of "no perceivable difference" is two sets of predicates attributed by S at/after the time of exposure to A and B, P(A) P(B) do not correlate to the actual succession of A and B. In that sense the question is decidable in regard to any chosen level of confidence for each subject.

Reply #161

If a subject is having "different experiences" then they should be able to "tell a difference." It might be hard; it might not be something that all subjects can do; the nature of the difference might not be verbalizable. It might be that some subjects, poorly presented with a DBT, might falsely gain the impression that they were not allowed to declare a difference if they could not locate and describe the nature of that difference; but that would be a poorly conducted DBT.

For any reasonable meaning of "experience," different experiences are detectable. There doubtless are processes in my body which vary, and which I will never be conscious of--for instance, moderate fluctuations in the flora in my gut. But that variation is not an experience, because it has no effect on my feeling of the world (large variations in flora, of course, could well be experiential). Other, normally unconscious processes, can be brought into consciousness; the state of one's peripheral circulation, for instance, is an experience because one can tell a difference ("Is it cold in here, or is it my circulation?"), even when one cannot name it. But remote unnameable possibilities are just not worth bothering about.

Reply #162
Well, thank you for the vote of confidence, but what exactly is it that you take me to believe that you disagree with, or think is obviously incorrect?

I think that your central point is that results from ABX-type tests with short pieces of music do not necessarily hold for long-term listening. In terms of logic this is true, and also if I just look at the "experiments" themselves, they literally say nothing about long-term listening, unless I make some assumptions about the "listening mechanism" in our heads. Apparently, given your assumptions about this mechanism, they do not, but according to mine they do.

I am saying that for all I know, those stimuli could have different causal properties, of a certain kind, that I care about.  Are you saying that the quick-switch ABX results furnish enough information to rule that out?  On what basis?  Yes, of course this is a question of science, or induction.  But you seem to be saying that you believe this because it is "reasonable," or "common sense," or on the basis of introspection perhaps, or "obviously true," none of which is scientific.

Right, like if I claim that the fact that the sun has risen from the east for millenia (let's just assume this) does not prove that it will tomorrow. It really doesn't. Coupled with the usual models of what is actually happening, though, and given that these models are in accord with other pieces of information (falling rocks, observed motion of other lights in the sky under the assumption they're planets etc), it's hard to not conclude that it will.

Here, neither side has the equivalent model (yes a lot is known but nothing as simple, general, accurate and reliable), so it's less certain.

Technically it is. I, however, am not aware of a single piece of evidence to support your thesis, nor any mechanism to suggest so. Obviously (again  ), this does not disprove it, but...

The "obviously" should probably have been quoted, as I meant it as shorthand for "in light of my mental model of the world, it would be really strange if it was not true that".

I don't think this kind of belief has the same status as believing the earth is flat, but I still would be quite surprised if it was true (as I said, lack of evidence, no personal experience indicating it etc).

The difference with the "earth is flat" hypothesis is that no one here has pointed to a theory of experiences, including criteria for when they are the same or different, and of their causal conditions, that would support said inference.  That is what is actually needed to meet the skeptical worry.  The skeptic is saying, "For all I know, there could be differences to perception, whatever that would mean, despite the negative ABX."  What is needed is a scientific basis on which the notions of experience and perception get sufficiently explicated and laws stated from which it follows that there really will be no difference to experience.

But the skeptical worry is a perfectly reasonable stage of the inquiry.  Without a theory, we don't know that there isn't such a difference.  If we don't know, it is right to point out that we don't know; or at least to ask on what basis we know.  But to answer this in terms of what is "strange," or "common sense," is just arm waving. It's not science.

Reply #164

The difference with the "earth is flat" hypothesis is that no one here has pointed to a theory of experiences, including criteria for when they are the same or different, and of their causal conditions, that would support said inference.  That is what is actually needed to meet the skeptical worry.  The skeptic is saying, "For all I know, there could be differences to perception, whatever that would mean, despite the negative ABX."  What is needed is a scientific basis on which the notions of experience and perception get sufficiently explicated and laws stated from which it follows that there really will be no difference to experience.

But the skeptical worry is a perfectly reasonable stage of the inquiry.  Without a theory, we don't know that there isn't such a difference.  If we don't know, it is right to point out that we don't know; or at least to ask on what basis we know.  But to answer this in terms of what is "strange," or "common sense," is just arm waving. It's not science.

I think that you have either misunderstood what I wrote or are ignoring it.

And I think this is going in circles.

Reply #165

Your term of "can't tell a difference" is limited to direct, short-term comparison. My term of "no perceivable difference" is two sets of predicates attributed by S at/after the time of exposure to A and B, P(A) P(B) do not correlate to the actual succession of A and B. In that sense the question is decidable in regard to any chosen level of confidence for each subject.

Sorry, that's a bit cryptic: could you please explain? 

Suppose we are talking about comparison of two similar, but not necessarily identical, one-minute, complicated, atonal passages of music.  You may not be able to say reliably whether they were identical or not.  But surely, if they were not identical, you perceived different pitches and rhythms at corresponding times in the samples: a difference in what is perceived without a perceived difference.

Reply #166
...nor is the insistence that there are unidentifiable factors at play that will create an outcome that has never been reported science.

Your careful reading continues apace.  Nowhere have I insisted that there are such factors.  The question is, what rules them out in the present instance?  That would be nice to know.

Reply #168
...nor is the insistence that there are unidentifiable factors at play that will create an outcome that has never been reported science.

Your careful reading continues apace.  Nowhere have I insisted that there are such factors.  The question is, what rules them out in the present instance?  That would be nice to know.

Same thing that rules out a giant pink bunny orbiting Uranus?  (joking here, ie, not claiming it's as unlikely)

Reply #169

Without a theory, we don't know that there isn't an invisible, undetectable dragon living in my garage. Do you agree that we "don't know" that there's an invisible dragon living in my garage?

There is no reason whatsoever to assume that something outside of one's mind that can't be detected is influencing anyone, if there's no mechanism for it to affect him/her. Furthermore, the "phenomenom" is already easily explainable by far better known theories (placebo, etc.).

Reply #170

If a subject is having "different experiences" then they should be able to "tell a difference." It might be hard; it might not be something that all subjects can do; the nature of the difference might not be verbalizable. It might be that some subjects, poorly presented with a DBT, might falsely gain the impression that they were not allowed to declare a difference if they could not locate and describe the nature of that difference; but that would be a poorly conducted DBT.

For any reasonable meaning of "experience," different experiences are detectable. There doubtless are processes in my body which vary, and which I will never be conscious of--for instance, moderate fluctuations in the flora in my gut. But that variation is not an experience, because it has no effect on my feeling of the world (large variations in flora, of course, could well be experiential). Other, normally unconscious processes, can be brought into consciousness; the state of one's peripheral circulation, for instance, is an experience because one can tell a difference ("Is it cold in here, or is it my circulation?"), even when one cannot name it. But remote unnameable possibilities are just not worth bothering about.

RE: "If a subject is having 'different experiences' then they should be able to 'tell a difference.'  It might be hard; it might not be something that all subjects can do..." 

Not sure what you mean by "should be able."  Maybe the skeptic is one of those people who can't do it.

RE: "For any reasonable meaning of "experience," different experiences are detectable."

That is just a dogmatic claim, armchair neuroscience. 

In any event, the issue is not whether, given certain perceptual facts, some kind of DBT test could be devised to determine whether they obtain.  The issue is what should be concluded from failure on the kind of test that I took, or undertook, yesterday.

Reply #171
Fine, replace "insistence that there are" with "suggestion that there may be".  This does not change the irony of your post or your position.

Right, that is an "it may be" in the sense of "for all I know, it is," or an epistemic sense of "may," which is crucial to science because it needs the notion of what a theory does or does not predict.

Reply #172

Without a theory, we don't know that there isn't an invisible, undetectable dragon living in my garage. Do you agree that we "don't know" that there's an invisible dragon living in my garage?

There is no reason whatsoever to assume that something outside of one's mind that can't be detected is influencing anyone, if there's no mechanism for it to affect him/her. Furthermore, the "phenomenom" is already easily explainable by far better known theories (placebo, etc.).

Of course we don't know that there is a dragon in your garage if in fact there is no dragon there, but I think that you mean to be asking whether on my view we don't know that there isn't one, and the answer is that (obviously) there is excellent reason to think that there is no dragon in your garage.

What you refer to as "placebo" might explain why someone hears differences, but it is irrelevant to the present case, in which no differences are perceived.

In any event, I am not assuming "that something outside of one's mind that can't be detected is influencing anyone," whatever that means.  I mean, what counts as being inside or outside the mind?  What is the mind, anyway?  I am not taking any particular stand on this or making any such assumption as the one you attribute to me.  I am supposing merely that we have experiences, or perceive things as being a certain way, and that experiences can be the same or different, or that the way we perceive something as being on a certain occasion can be the same or different from the way we perceive it as being on another occasion; and I am saying I see no reason why I should conclude from the sort of ABX test I took yesterday that the relevant signals do not, in normal listening, cause different experiences in me, or cause me to perceive things in different ways, where the difference is one that matters.

It seems to me (though I could be wrong) that the sticking point is that you and others reject the notion that there could be a difference in experiences without a difference that is experienced; a difference in perceptions without a perceived difference.  Am I right (that you reject this notion, and that this is the sticking point)?

Reply #173
Settle down, chil'ren.

Mark, you are correct that under any strictly logical analysis, a negative ABX result cannot "debunk" the existence or non-existence of a difference. Nonexistence is nonfalsifiable. However, it can disprove the magnitude of such a difference, if it exists, and often times that's enough to settle a debate. If one says "OMG this is a night and day difference, I can detect the improvement in half a second", but then undergoes an ABX test under identical listening conditions and fails it miserably, the most plausible reason for the failure is not that there's some fundamental issue with ABX testing that fundamentally compromises its meaning (although that excuse is profferred all the time). The most plausible reason is that the originally perceived difference was 100% imaginary, and among many reasons why this is the most plausible, the one I prefer is that I observe that behavior in myself, regularly, in comparisons which plainly null out, and based on my experience and what I know of human psychology, I expect that behavior in everybody else.

However, when blind tests consistently fail, and there are good theoretical reasons to doubt that such tested differences would ever be audible, at some point, you've gotta step back and call a turd a turd. A while ago there was a big controlled study showing that homeopathy did not demonstrate any efficacy, and while that was used by doctors to "prove" that homeopathy was a worthless fraud, it clearly could not justify such a conclusion - and it didn't, at least not on its own. But combined with the knowledge that homeopathy treatments are diluted to the point of not containing a single molecule of the original substance, and the knowledge that no remotely scientifically plausible theory exists that would in any way justify its efficacy, even after over 100 years of study, you'd need some pretty thick blinders (or big cahones) to assert anything different than "homeopathy is dead".

In other words... bone up on your Kuhn. Paradigms have never been overturned because of evidence.

Regarding quick-switch, I might offer (anybody correct me if I'm wrong here): a) No evidence exists that long-time switching is any more sensitive than quick switching; b) Considerable anecdotal evidence (and I want to say at least one study) indicates quick switching being more sensitive than long time switching; c) The seconds-long duration of auditory memory provides an extremely powerful theoretical justification for the increased sensitivity of fast switching. There is simply no evidence supporting such a theoretical objection, some (perhaps a significant) amoung of evidence against the idea, and a very good theoretical reason against the idea.

The point at which you "call a turd a turd" is one where there is strong evidence for a particular hypothesis, such as that the subject cannot detect a difference, and we finally give up entertaining its negation.  But what I am asking about is different.  In this case, there is an inference from the inability to detect a difference, in a test situation, to the conclusion that there is no difference between the signals that makes a difference to perception, or a difference in the character of the experiences, in normal listening.  We are projecting from one thing to another.  What are the "good theoretical reasons" that would justify this inference?

Reply #174
RE: "For any reasonable meaning of "experience," different experiences are detectable."

That is just a dogmatic claim, armchair neuroscience.

No it's not. It's not science at all. It is about the meaning of words. "Experience," in this context, means, in normal usage, something which affects the consciousness of a subject, even if it can't be precisely identified. I am reliably informed that an appalling number of neutrinos whizz through my body every day, but this is not part of my "experience," though it is something which, I believe, happens to me.

If the hypothesis is that different sound signals which are audibly, and in all other ways, indistinguishable by the subject, might produce different effects on the human organism, that would be a claim in science. To call these effects part of the human being's experience would be an idiosyncratic used of the word.