Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: long naming matter (Read 2428 times) previous topic - next topic

long naming matter

Dear All,

I'm a complete noob here and i'm facing a naming matter when ripping Cd's to Flac files. In fact I'm able to get endless long names for files when using this built-in pattern :

%album artist% /%album%/[%album artist% - ]%album% - %title%

But i want to add the track number  to read the files in the same order they are on the CD and use this pattern :

%album artist%/%album%/%tracknumber%. %title%

With this second pattern i unavoidably get a Code 1 error for the longuest title tracks and a stop in the conversion despite the fact the files names are shorter than the ones i get with the first pattern.

Of course, i think i miss something and any input there would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

kind regards

Re: long naming matter

Reply #1
I have under Name format:
Code: [Select]
%artist%\%album%\%tracknumber% - %title%
with backslash, to create the folder tree.
The result is:
G:\mp3\Bach\Bach - Milstein\Bach- The Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin - Disc 1\01 - Sonata No. 1 in G Minor - Adagio.flac

Reply #2
Please, provide an example with all necessary settings.

Reply #3
Got an error Code1 with long filenames. There is obviously a limit (255 characters?)

1 out of 1 files converted with major problems.

Source: "cdda://008A8BC8" / index: 1
  Audio CD extraction setup: drive: "hp HLDS - DVDRW  GUD1N", sample offset: 6, security: standard
  Destination: "c:\mp3\Pettersson- Wallin, Lindberg, Norrköping SO\Pettersson- Violin Concerto No.2, Symphony No.17\01 - Concerto No.2 for Violin and Orchestra- Openingddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.flac"
  An error occurred while writing to file (The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1 (0x00000001); please re-check parameters) : "c:\mp3\Pettersson- Wallin, Lindberg, Norrköping SO\Pettersson- Violin Concerto No.2, Symphony No.17\01 - Concerto No.2 for Violin and Orchestra- Openingddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.flac"
  Additional information:
  Encoder stream format: 44100Hz / 2ch / 16bps
  Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\encoders\flac.exe" -s --ignore-chunk-sizes -5 - -o "01 - Concerto No.2 for Violin and Orchestra- Openingddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.flac"
  Working folder: c:\mp3\Pettersson- Wallin, Lindberg, Norrköping SO\Pettersson- Violin Concerto No.2, Symphony No.17\
  Conversion failed: The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1 (0x00000001); please re-check parameters
Maybe there is also a path limit.
EDIT: Path limit is 255 characters.

Reply #4
Curious, I seem to have been wrong my entire life. I was always under the belief that the MAX_PATH limit wasn't a factor when using relative paths. With your example scenario individual path components are not too long yet file creation fails.

Reply #5
Can't reproduce error anymore:

No problems occurred.

Source: "cdda://008A8BC8" / index: 1
  Audio CD extraction setup: drive: "hp HLDS - DVDRW  GUD1N", sample offset: 6, security: standard
  Destination: "C:\mp3\test3\Pettersson- Wallin, Lindberg, Norrköping SO\Pettersson- Violin Concerto No.2, Symphony No.17\01 - Concerto No.2 for Violin and Orchestra- Openingddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.flac"
  Track converted successfully.
Sorry for the noise.

Reply #6
Dear All,

I'm a complete noob here and i'm facing a naming matter when ripping Cd's to Flac files. In fact I'm able to get endless long names for files when using this built-in pattern :

%album artist% /%album%/[%album artist% - ]%album% - %title%

You can limit the output length of any tag, e.g. limit title to 50 characters: $left(%title%,50)

Reply #7
than you for all your replies. What surprises me is that in the first version it seems to have virtually no limit and a very sensitive one in the second. And i can't explain the reason...

Reply #8
Happy new year !

with : %album artist% /%album%/[%album artist% - ]%album% - %title%

i get this filename :

"Richard Strauss, Berliner Philharmoniker, Herbert von Karajan, Michel Schwalbé - Also sprach Zarathustra - Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche - Salomes Tanz - Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche, op. 28- nach alter Schelmenweise - in Rondeauform.flac"

PS : same destination folder in both cases

with : %album artist% /%album%/[%album% - ]%tracknumber% - %title%

i get this error :

1 out of 1 files converted with major problems.

Source: "cdda://00BA5D70" / index: 10
  An error occurred while writing to file (The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1 (0x00000001); please re-check parameters) : "C:\Users\GillesFontaine\Music\Richard Strauss, Berliner Philharmoniker, Herbert von Karajan, Michel Schwalbé\Also sprach Zarathustra - Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche - Salomes Tanz\Also sprach Zarathustra - Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche - Salomes Tanz - 10 - Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche, op. 28- nach alter Schelmenweise - in Rondeauform.flac"
  Additional information:
  Encoder stream format: 44100Hz / 2ch / 16bps
  Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\encoders\flac.exe" -s --ignore-chunk-sizes -5 - -o "Also sprach Zarathustra - Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche - Salomes Tanz - 10 - Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche, op. 28- nach alter Schelmenweise - in Rondeauform.flac"
  Working folder: C:\Users\GillesFontaine\Music\Richard Strauss, Berliner Philharmoniker, Herbert von Karajan, Michel Schwalbé\Also sprach Zarathustra - Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche - Salomes Tanz\
  Conversion failed: The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1 (0x00000001); please re-check parameters

It would seem that the "tracknumber" command applies the 255 characters limit that is not considered at all in the first case. Why and a how to get rid of that ?

Reply #9
At least on Windows 10 you could enable long file names like described here. Otherwise you need to adjust the pattern like this: $cut(%album artist% /%album%/[%album% - ]%tracknumber% - %title%,220). If the path to the destination folder is longer than in your example, you need to decrease the cutting point according to it.

Reply #10
There's an advanced option "Convert to temporary location, move to destination folder when finished". You can try it, maybe it will help.